Lady Hermann not her usual self

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
That is lovely, Zola!!
Thank you for those beautiful lines.
It is most exciting for Teztez to receive a poem especially composed for her. She will be very surprised and pleased.
She was weighed on Wednesday and I am happy to report that she is doing very well indeed. She had only lost 3g since December so we are quite chuffed about that. I dreaded having to disturb her dreams and she reacted by putting out her head, eyes tightly closed, and extending her cold limbs while we placed her gently on the scales.
Poor Teztez! Still, she is coping with her winter night very well, no signs of stress or early awakening. I'm sure your good night wishes are a great comfort to her, keeping her company in her chilly cave.
I hope you enjoyed your winter birthday shared with your Papa, cuddles by the fire sound delightful, and seeing early snowdrops and daffodils would be very special. I haven't seen any yet - it is very wintry and cold here.
That is an excellent idea to combine birthday gifts, I must pass it on to Teztez's papa! He will then have no excuse for forgetting vital milestones!
Thank you again, super poet Zola, for your beautiful composition to the sleeping Treasure. I'm afraid there are not many golden towers near us here, but perhaps loving family members elevate the simplest circumstances into wonderful castles and turrets.
I hope you have a lovely cosy weekend, safe from the stormy weather.
Much love and fondest regards from Ruth and the Lady Teztez xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
I love to think of you with a special poet's towel wrapped around your noble head or perhaps your shell, and a quill pen held carefully in your claw as you muse on your lines and rhymes....?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I love to think of you with a special poet's towel wrapped around your noble head or perhaps your shell, and a quill pen held carefully in your claw as you muse on your lines and rhymes....?
Dear Guardian of the Lady - Thank you for appreciating my poem - I am afraid I don't use a quill pen any more, as my mama is too worried about me tipping the ink over - so now I have to use a felt-tip pen ! Not so poetic !!
The golden towers are how I see Chippenham, but I might have taken a bit of poetic licence there. I have never actually visited it.
I had a quiet half- birthday, as it was cold and rather wet, and mostly I just kept my mama and papa company. I did get a card, with a hedgehog on it, and it is now in my conservatory at tortoise-viewing level.
With love , Zola xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I am afraid it is only me. Angie, writing this, but I wanted to tell you what Zola did today - I was sitting in his conservatory, keeping him company, and wearing the shoes he likes best (black fabric with red trim, and black laces) and Zola came up to me, positioned himself facing the toes, put his head on one shoe toe, and embraced it with his front legs. He stayed for at least half an hour,stroking the shoe gently, sometimes moving to the other shoe, but not going away at all - and so gentle and sweet - he quite often does this, but not usually for so long - and of course, I can't move because of disturbing him ! It is like he is doing it because he is responding to the way I stroke him - I don't think this is common behaviour in tortoises. I feel really honoured that he does this !
Angie xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
I am afraid it is only me. Angie, writing this, but I wanted to tell you what Zola did today - I was sitting in his conservatory, keeping him company, and wearing the shoes he likes best (black fabric with red trim, and black laces) and Zola came up to me, positioned himself facing the toes, put his head on one shoe toe, and embraced it with his front legs. He stayed for at least half an hour,stroking the shoe gently, sometimes moving to the other shoe, but not going away at all - and so gentle and sweet - he quite often does this, but not usually for so long - and of course, I can't move because of disturbing him ! It is like he is doing it because he is responding to the way I stroke him - I don't think this is common behaviour in tortoises. I feel really honoured that he does this !
Angie xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
hello Angie,
that is so sweet!
Really affectionate behaviour. Zola knows you are his friend, very special from such solitary, territorial creatures!
That is so touching that you have taught him affection. How lovely. I am so happy for you. you have given Zola such an interesting adventurous life filled with attention and affection and that is a really sweet reward.
love from Ruthxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you, Ruth. It really seems like affection - he chooses to do this, and doesn't expect any reward - except, I suppose, later in the day, the possibility of being cuddled and stroked as he lies on my chest, sitting by the fire. I said to his dad that it was hard to believe a tortoise could respond like that, but he said that, after all, we have had him for 20 years,and he has experienced a lot of affection from us in that time - even so , I think many people would think I was somehow imagining it. I wish I could film it, to show them. !! Today he did this for a while, but then got interested in biting and pulling at the hem of my stretchy trousers - and putting his head so the fabric brushed his head ! How lucky I am !
Love from Angie xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Zola was even more sweet yesterday - I was in his conservatory as before, and sitting with my feet together, for some reason - he came up and sat on both feet !! He did the same sort of stroking and playing with my trouser hem as before,but reaching across both feet at once. I sat very still, watching him - again he did it for a long time - when I eventually had to extricate myself, my legs were really stiff and painful , but of course I didn't mind at all.
But today he was in a more bitey mood - I held him up near my face, and he kept attempting to bite me - I think he was a bit exasperated because I hadn't understood that he wanted his food - now - not cuddles.
He can generally make it pretty clear when he wants something.
Angie xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Guardian of The Lady - today I saw a little pink rosebud in my garden, and it made me think of the lovely Teztez, and wonder when you will be waking her. It has been cold and windy here for a long time, and I don't suppose she would appreciate it yet. We have not been anywhere very interesting in the car, as my Papa has been working on sorting out his new (10 year old) computer, and has to keep an eye on it as it chunters away. I will try to get him to photograph the little rose, so you can show it to Teztez , and tell her it is a Valentine offering from me.
My Mama sends her love, as of course I do too.
Zola xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
How very kind, Zola, I am very touched that the pink rosebud reminded you of the sleeping Teztez. We have now seen snowdrops growing and yesterday I saw some daffodils and thought of you.
There is a village near us called Studley and for some reason the grassy banks grow lots of snowdrops, they look very lovely and cheering that it is really spring.
I am keeping a close eye on Teztez. She still seems to be alright, moving her nose and front legs when we open her fridge and uncover her box. I stroke her cold shell and speak comforting words to her. I hope she can hear my voice through her dreams. I will tell her about her valentine rose, I'm sure it will comfort her in her lonely cave.
I am debating about when to begin waking her, not wanting to leave her as long as last year. In March I think.
Your Papa must be very clever to be rebuilding his computer. We have been hearing about your sweet behaviour with your Mama's shoes, you are such a nice tortoise, it's so interesting to try to work out what you are thinking.
Hope you have a happy, cosy day, keeping warm in your conservatory.
With love to Angie and your handsome self from Ruth xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
How very kind, Zola, I am very touched that the pink rosebud reminded you of the sleeping Teztez. We have now seen snowdrops growing and yesterday I saw some daffodils and thought of you.
There is a village near us called Studley and for some reason the grassy banks grow lots of snowdrops, they look very lovely and cheering that it is really spring.
I am keeping a close eye on Teztez. She still seems to be alright, moving her nose and front legs when we open her fridge and uncover her box. I stroke her cold shell and speak comforting words to her. I hope she can hear my voice through her dreams. I will tell her about her valentine rose, I'm sure it will comfort her in her lonely cave.
I am debating about when to begin waking her, not wanting to leave her as long as last year. In March I think.
Your Papa must be very clever to be rebuilding his computer. We have been hearing about your sweet behaviour with your Mama's shoes, you are such a nice tortoise, it's so interesting to try to work out what you are thinking.
Hope you have a happy, cosy day, keeping warm in your conservatory.
With love to Angie and your handsome self from Ruth xxx
For Teztez -and you, dear Ruth, from Zola xxxfirst_rose_sm.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you Zola!
That rose is simply beautiful.
And the background is amazing.
Thank you very much.
today I went delivering signs with Teztez's Papa and we stopped to have fish and chips at Keyhaven which is opposite to the Isle of Wight.
While having a walk along Hurst spit we saw an egret, the first time I have seen one. I recognised it from the photo you sent Teztez some time ago.
It was fishing alongside a small cormorant. It was very special to see it.
Thank you again for the beautiful rose.
Much love from Teztez and Ruth xxx20220210_143421.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you Zola!
That rose is simply beautiful.
And the background is amazing.
Thank you very much.
today I went delivering signs with Teztez's Papa and we stopped to have fish and chips at Keyhaven which is opposite to the Isle of Wight.
While having a walk along Hurst spit we saw an egret, the first time I have seen one. I recognised it from the photo you sent Teztez some time ago.
It was fishing alongside a small cormorant. It was very special to see it.
Thank you again for the beautiful rose.
Much love from Teztez and Ruth xxxView attachment 340342
Congratulations on seeing your first egret ! I love the way they paddle their yellow feet to stir up the water. When we saw our first one on the moor, our bird identification book didn't have a picture of it, as it was too rare. I think there are quite a few around the river Dart estuary, and they are breeding, which is great. There are a few
larger egrets around, but we haven't seen any yet.
I've never been to the Isle of Wight,or to Keyhaven, but it looks a good place to take Zola one day.
may I ask what the signs were for ?
I'm glad you liked the rose - Zola was insistent that his dad took the photo today, in case it got damaged by the weather -sometimes the view over the fields is lovely, but I live in fear that the farmer will decide to sell the land for more houses !
Angie xxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Angie, We were delivering Oak footpath signs to a customer in the New Forest. We saw little groups of donkeys roaming freely, all furry and looking very appealing.
Keyhaven is a lovely place with lots to look at, and a long walk along the shingle to Hurst Castle.
It is quite cold and windy though, but very refreshing.
There are backwater wetland kind of areas with lots of birds flying in and out.
There would be quite a few walkers and families that would enjoy meeting Zola I'm sure. Nice and warm tucked up inside papa's coat!

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Happy Valentine's Day Zola ? ?
Hope you have a lovely day.
From Lady Teztez, from her cave, and her faithful guardian, Ruth. Xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth and Teztez - thank you so much for your Valentine message . I am having a quiet day, as it is raining and my Papa is still busy with his computer - my Mama is keeping me company , of course. She had a Valentine card too, for the first time ever - it was from someone she taught many years ago, when she was working in a special school in London - he was 4 at the time, and that was 40 years ago, but she loved him and kept in touch always, and we were even able to take him out with us, when he came with a group from his care home for a trip to Barnstaple. She cried a bit to get the card, but only because she was happy !
Keep well, dear Ruth, so you are fit and strong to guard the lovely Lady when she arises.
Zola xx and Angie x

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello again, Ruth and Teztez, from Angie - I don't know if you have heard about the awful storm we are probably getting tomorrow - we are worried about possible damage to our house, especially as there is lots of scaffolding close to us, from next door's building work. Anyway, the electricity may well go off, so this is just to say I hope all is well with you, and Zola apologises if he can't write to you for a while.
Angie and Zola xX

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Angie, We have been looking at the weather forecast and feeling a bit anxious. I do hope you don't suffer any damage or power outages.
We hope Zola keeps safe and warm, and that no flying pieces of scaffolding connect with his conservatory or any other parts of your home.
We will be thinking of you all.
Love from Ruth
Xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Angie, We have been looking at the weather forecast and feeling a bit anxious. I do hope you don't suffer any damage or power outages.
We hope Zola keeps safe and warm, and that no flying pieces of scaffolding connect with his conservatory or any other parts of your home.
We will be thinking of you all.
Love from Ruth
Xxx
Zola will keep warm if I have to carry him round under my jumper all day !! I just hope he won't scrabble too much - actually, I have had an idea - I will put one of his favourite shoes in with him - that may keep him amused - just as long as he doesn't get romantic with it - that could be a bit painful ! It's just that we live very near the coast that worries us - Zola's friend David (the one who met Jonathan, the oldest tortoise) lives right on the edge of the cliff near Bude, and there are a number of other houses in that area. And it is a Spring Tide as well, when the sea is extra high.
Angie xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Zola will keep warm if I have to carry him round under my jumper all day !! I just hope he won't scrabble too much - actually, I have had an idea - I will put one of his favourite shoes in with him - that may keep him amused - just as long as he doesn't get romantic with it - that could be a bit painful ! It's just that we live very near the coast that worries us - Zola's friend David (the one who met Jonathan, the oldest tortoise) lives right on the edge of the cliff near Bude, and there are a number of other houses in that area. And it is a Spring Tide as well, when the sea is extra high.
Angie xx
Hello Ruth - we have all survived - Richard had to fool Zola by following his normal procedure - hand feeding him his breakfast, then carrying him out to the car - this is when I normally get in the car and wait, while Richard holds Zola in a special way, beside the car, and Zola usually pees - then gets praised and put in the car on my lap. Today, Zola peed, and was put in the car on my seat, and R ran the engine for a bit - then brought him in, saying "that was a long drive,Zola !"
So he wasn't too upset about missing anything ! I don't think I mentioned before that Zola is sort of toilet trained, But he really is !
Angie x