xandraxotics

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Im looking at getting a tortoise within the next few years (or longer depending) as they're one of my favourite animals and I absolutely love redfoots they're my favourite species but I do live in canada so i would not be able to keep one outside. I would probably have an indoor enclosure and bring them outside for a bit on nice days during the summer. Im wondering everyones opinions on keeping redfoots mainly indoors which i know all tortoises do better outside but if i can get a tortoise in canada and still provide it a good home id want to. The only thing is sizing of the enclosure. Ive read many sites saying 4x8 is fine for adults but that's the size for much smaller species and i know they deserve a lot more room than that. I'm wondering what an actual decent sized enclosure for a full grown adult would be. I also know about cherry heads i would be just as interested in those guys because i know they tend to be a bit smaller so if anyone also knows a decent size for a cherry head let me know. I don't want the "as big as you can" answer im aware of that i just need to know a number so i can see if i can actually give them the room they need. Research is hard as so many people say different things. I know they are basically a lifetime commitment so i really want the right species. Also looking at hermanns as a second choice which realistically would probably be better but i dont want to regret not getting a redfoot if i can give them a good home. Also if anyone has good care sheets (on all 3 species mentioned) please feel free to link them!! Sorry for the long post but thank you for reading id appreciate the help :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You CAN keep a fully grown Redfoot indoors. I'm sure people do it. But they'd require a lot of room. Plus high humidity. Plus constant warmth.
An adult can be over 16" and weigh over 25 pounds.
So, the issue would be in keeping one in near ideal conditions. And not just keeping one indoors.
You'd pretty much need a dedicated room. Or a good part of a room and seal off the area to create a micro climate. It's something I've never personally tried.

xandraxotics

Ontario, Canada
You CAN keep a fully grown Redfoot indoors. I'm sure people do it. But they'd require a lot of room. Plus high humidity. Plus constant warmth.
An adult can be over 16" and weigh over 25 pounds.
So, the issue would be in keeping one in near ideal conditions. And not just keeping one indoors.
You'd pretty much need a dedicated room. Or a good part of a room and seal off the area to create a micro climate. It's something I've never personally tried.
yeah heat and humidity is the other problem

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The 4x8 is only for the smaller species, never for the species that get big.
Like Zeropilot said, it would need a good sized room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yeah heat and humidity is the other problem
There are several species that I love, but my climate is not right for them. RFs being one of them. You would need to waterproof and heat an entire room to the mid 80s to keep a RF there. Mid 80s on the floor, so the room would be mid 90s. That's 34-35C. You'd be much better off getting a species better suited to your climate. The hermanni will also be able to hibernate during your frozen winters, which is good for the tortoise, and much easier than you trying to fight the elements.

More info here, including a hermanni care sheet at the bottom:

bluewolf85

ANCHORAGE
Im looking at getting a tortoise within the next few years (or longer depending) as they're one of my favourite animals and I absolutely love redfoots they're my favourite species but I do live in canada so i would not be able to keep one outside. I would probably have an indoor enclosure and bring them outside for a bit on nice days during the summer. Im wondering everyones opinions on keeping redfoots mainly indoors which i know all tortoises do better outside but if i can get a tortoise in canada and still provide it a good home id want to. The only thing is sizing of the enclosure. Ive read many sites saying 4x8 is fine for adults but that's the size for much smaller species and i know they deserve a lot more room than that. I'm wondering what an actual decent sized enclosure for a full grown adult would be. I also know about cherry heads i would be just as interested in those guys because i know they tend to be a bit smaller so if anyone also knows a decent size for a cherry head let me know. I don't want the "as big as you can" answer im aware of that i just need to know a number so i can see if i can actually give them the room they need. Research is hard as so many people say different things. I know they are basically a lifetime commitment so i really want the right species. Also looking at hermanns as a second choice which realistically would probably be better but i dont want to regret not getting a redfoot if i can give them a good home. Also if anyone has good care sheets (on all 3 species mentioned) please feel free to link them!! Sorry for the long post but thank you for reading id appreciate the help :)
Following post as I live in Alaska and recently rescued a baby redfoot who is now recovering but now I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with her once she grows

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It seems that a Russian may be a better choice.