Keeping Red Foots together without breeding

Elime

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
hi! I'm new here. I've had a female red footed tortoise for 4 years now. I have been asked if I can take in a male red foot that needs to be rehomed. The only way I could do so is if they were housed together. If I have a male and female together, how would I prevent myself from becoming an accidental breeder? I don't care if they mate although I am also concerned that the male would mate with my female too much. I just don't want babies. What are your thoughts on this? Would it just come down to destroying any eggs laid?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum!!! you should rescue that male tort. its never a good idea to put two torts together, the male with pester and harass the female, which can cause the female to become very stressed and may even die:(. also the new tort may have parasites and diseases that can pass onto your tort, just quarantine him from any other tort for 6 months.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Yes if you destroy the eggs you won't get babies. Although I've heard of people finding babies walking around outside because they didn't see the female lay the eggs.

It could definitely stress out your female too much from the males advances. Another thing you should look into is if you have a big enough enclosure for two tortoises. However be prepared to have to separate them and have two enclosures. If not you can always rehome him.

— Gus

Elime

Alabama
Yes if you destroy the eggs you won't get babies. Although I've heard of people finding babies walking around outside because they didn't see the female lay the eggs.

It could definitely stress out your female too much from the males advances. Another thing you should look into is if you have a big enough enclosure for two tortoises. However be prepared to have to separate them and have two enclosures. If not you can always rehome him.

— Gus

welcome to the forum!!! you should rescue that male tort. its never a good idea to put two torts together, the male with pester and harass the female, which can cause the female to become very stressed and may even die:(. also the new tort may have parasites and diseases that can pass onto your tort, just quarantine him from any other tort for 6 months.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone! Sounds like I should pass on this one or figure out how to add a 3rd enclosure to my itty bitty townhouse. I just rescued a male eastern boxie 3 months ago and am still getting him healthy and set up correctly. Hmmmm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have much experience with RF tortoises, but I am taking care of a pair of them. I've had them for 2 years, and didn't know it was a male/female pair until early this year. So far I haven't noticed any harassment by the male or even any breeding. But this might just be because they were babies together. Judging by what I've seen here in my RF yard, I would say that RF tortoises are not scrappy little breeding machines such as Russians are. But let's give a shout out to @N2TORTS and get his opinion on the subject.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A very large enclosure is what I use. This way the female can usually get away. Mating is always in the summer when the rains come. This is my experience. I will post a photo showing that I can simply close a door and make my female safe from her man. I wish someone would give me a free redfoot. I still have 75% of my yard left!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A photo of my set up. Open door to make pen a full 8' by 20'. Or shut the door for a separate time out area.

Attachments

• image_51.png
    image_51.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • image_52.png
    image_52.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not house them as a pair.

I would quarantine the new guy for at least a few months.

Breeding is very likely with a mature male and female housed together. Personally, I am not a fan of intentionally killing viable eggs that could hatch into beautiful healthy babies.

Perhaps forward the contact info to Zeropilot? He wants a free tortoise and FL is an excellent place for RFs. Probably the best place in the US.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I honestly don't know how long they can be out of an incubator or how much shaking around they can tolerate. I'll pay for you to ship as many eggs as you don't want.;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I honestly don't know how long they can be out of an incubator or how much shaking around they can tolerate. I'll pay for you to ship as many eggs as you don't want.;)

I meant for the adult, not the eggs...

But I suppose the eggs could work too. In the past some members sent some leopard eggs from HI to AZ and the PWN, and it didn't work well. But overnighted to FL might work. Its worth a shot and certainly better than intentionally destroying them.