Keeping multiple Tortoises in same enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogway the tort

5 Year Member
I have a homes hingeback tortoise. I really want to get another tortoise. If I wanted to keep them in the same enclosure, will I need to get another hingeback? Are there any other species of tortoises that will live well with my hingeback?

P.s.- I have a male and am looking to get another male tort.:tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Species should never be mixed. Two males might fight and you would have to separate. If you want more, get two or more females to one male. However, they would have to have a very large enclosure, lots of sight barriers and separate hides and food stations.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Other than what was said above, a "quarantine" period of 4-6 months should be done. You never know f your new turtle/tortoise carries anything that your hingeback has the potential to get sick from, ad possibly die. I never mixed anything for my Russian and sulcata. That goes for food, soaking tubs, water containers, enclosures, etc.

let us know what you decide to get. How long have you owned your hingeback? Turtles/tortoise do not need a friend, they are solitary animals that prefer to be alone so they don't have to share space and food.

Oogway the tort

5 Year Member
I have had my hingeback for 3 weeks, he is about 4 years old. Should I just get a female?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Actually most folks never have problems with hingebacks together no matter what the gender mix. Always best to have two females to one male, but even that does not seem to be a major problem if you only have a pair. Two males together seldom have issues.

Are you able to have a quarantine enclosure for several months for the second tortoise? That is more the question.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
I know that male Nogueyi's can fight with each other from personal experience, quite ferociously but I've also seen what seem to be unprovoked attacks from females towards males. Vicious too. Depends on the individual tortoises really, some are lovers some are haters. :) I wouldn't risk another male with our guy knowing his personality.

Since you only have your homes a short time I think it would be better to concentrate on getting him settled for a few months first and get him on a regular routine before adding another.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My Homes seem to get along well with each other even with the same sex, in trios, or 2.5/6 groups.

Oogway the tort

5 Year Member
Okay I'll definitely be able to have a quarantine enclosure for those few month. I just had my homes interacting with my friends Greek and he seemed to do okay. Would that change any of your opinions? I know all of the infections and things would still be risky but, does that show any type of personality from my tortoise to other tortoises?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I say keep your tortoise and see how you do with the one, then maybe think of adding a few

Oogway the tort

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Are you wanting another tort for your tort to have a companion?

Not exactly, my little brothers birthday is coming up and he loves my tortoise, so I wanted to how him one of his own. But it would be fairly expensive if I bought him a whole brand new enclosure as well as the tortoise.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Oogway the tort said:
Okay I'll definitely be able to have a quarantine enclosure for those few month. I just had my homes interacting with my friends Greek and he seemed to do okay. Would that change any of your opinions? I know all of the infections and things would still be risky but, does that show any type of personality from my tortoise to other tortoises?

This was a really bad idea with possible cross contamination. Your Homes is not even out of it's quarantine period yet (let alone if your friend's tortoise is or not). Also how they behavior while together like you had them is no indicator how they would react being with another tortoise for any length of time. Another thing to keep in mind, there is normally seasonal or triggers which happen that can change "personalities" and behaviors for awhile, sometimes forever.

Oogway the tort said:
Also could I keep a bells with my homes potentially? Would that carry and infection?

Homes and Bells have two different types of needs. Plus Bells really need to be kept where they are be producing more Bells, not as a "companion" type animal.

Oogway the tort said:
ascott said:
Are you wanting another tort for your tort to have a companion?

Not exactly, my little brothers birthday is coming up and he loves my tortoise, so I wanted to how him one of his own. But it would be fairly expensive if I bought him a whole brand new enclosure as well as the tortoise.

Once more you would still have most of this expense due to needing to quarantine for months. Second, hingebacks do not do we as "pets to be handled a lot". These are more like fish in an aquarium to be looked at only. They can stress easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.