keeping leopard tortoise outdoors

gneesy

Location (City and/or State)
california
Hi all!

I've been beginning research on maybe getting a leopard tortoise. My main concern is the temperatures outside. I plan on keeping it indoors for the first few years, but once it is large enough I would like to keep it outside. I already have an Eastern Hermann's that I adore named Voldetort, but she is going to be indoors only.

I live in the central valley in california and my main question is would it be okay to house my leopard tortoise outside in our hot summers? The central valley gets HOT and dry, with our summer highs being over 100F, but yet our winters can dip to the 50s. I would plan for an outdoor heating mat and hide, but the summer heat is what concerns me. If given shade and water, would that be okay for a leopard or is it just not a good idea? If I can't house it outside eventually, I don't think I would get one because I would want it to have appropriate space and it would eventually be too big to keep indoors.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I live in Clovis and my leopards live outside. They have an insulated, heated, shed that keeps them warm in winter, and a misting system that keeps them cool in summer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all!

I've been beginning research on maybe getting a leopard tortoise. My main concern is the temperatures outside. I plan on keeping it indoors for the first few years, but once it is large enough I would like to keep it outside. I already have an Eastern Hermann's that I adore named Voldetort, but she is going to be indoors only.

I live in the central valley in california and my main question is would it be okay to house my leopard tortoise outside in our hot summers? The central valley gets HOT and dry, with our summer highs being over 100F, but yet our winters can dip to the 50s. I would plan for an outdoor heating mat and hide, but the summer heat is what concerns me. If given shade and water, would that be okay for a leopard or is it just not a good idea? If I can't house it outside eventually, I don't think I would get one because I would want it to have appropriate space and it would eventually be too big to keep indoors.

Thank you in advance for your responses!
When they get bigger, they can live outside with a heated night box like this:

Your other tortoise should live outside too. It is even more suited to our climate than the leopard. In this thread I show and explain how to do it: