Keeping humid without a lid

alfie_the_tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I’m really worried about how my baby sulcata, Alfie, is going to get humidity. It is only at about 50 right now because the enclosure has no lid. I water the soil everyday so that it makes the enclosure more humid. We are getting a new enclosure this week because the one we have is too small. Do you have any recommendations? How should I keep her enclosure humid right now?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It impossible, even if you wet the substrate until it's mud, the cold air from the house just carries the warm, humid air away.

I made a framework to hang my lights from:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/a-quick-easy-light-stand.59992/#post-570940

. . . and then I drape sheet plastic over the whole thing. This doesn't work as well as a real closed chamber, but it sure works better than an open table.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I’m really worried about how my baby sulcata, Alfie, is going to get humidity. It is only at about 50 right now because the enclosure has no lid. I water the soil everyday so that it makes the enclosure more humid. We are getting a new enclosure this week because the one we have is too small. Do you have any recommendations? How should I keep her enclosure humid right now?

It takes too much effort to raise and keep humidity levels stable in warmer environments such as Texas. Home air conditioning units can also take moisture and heat away from open tortoise tables. Damp substrates will not effectively hold humidity levels when combating such factors.

It's simply much easier to just buy or make a top to cover your enclosure. Solid one piece or clear top examples are easily found online through searching.

Some people use humidifiers and with the help of a thermostat, have their devices turn on whenever humidity drops a certain level. Some humidifier users will make sure their hose attachments are aimed to the side of the enclosure so that the main walking area of the substrate doesn't become wet from over-misting.

In a closed chamber setup this is perfectly fine. Humidity will hold rather well so the humidifier isn't overused.

In an open enclosure however, this setup is far from ideal. Humidifiers will have to stay on for much longer, longer, periods of time because of the size of room, the temperature and humidity levels inside the room, and the possibility of an air conditioning unit being on at the same time the humidifier is on. It's a giant energy waste. In my opinion the varying results will also not be consist enough to warrant the extra cost of electricity.

1. Create a "cover" out of anything that can handle the support and heat of the lighting fixtures.
2. Use whatever method you wish to raise humidity.
3. Problem solved.