Keeping 2 Brown Burmese Mountain Torts?

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
I have an opportunity to purchase 2 remaining brown torts. I know it's usually good practice to keep just 1 or get 3 or more. How are their personalities? Are they territorial as hatchlings and get worse as they get older? Thanks for any advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I can only speak from my own experience.

I have a group of Mee and a group of Mep. There is occasional pushing and shoving, but the majority of the time they live peacefully together. When they go into the shed at night, they are very close to each other, but outside the yard is quite large and they have plenty of room to get out of each others' space.

I've never had only two together, but, again thinking of my own tortoises, if I put two together, I'm sure they would get along ok.

mikeh

5 Year Member
I have two juveniles MEE, and have similar observation as Yvonne. While they do get along fine for most part, there is a good amount of showing and hissing coming from the hide. (Unlike other tortoises Manouria actually hisses as a warning). They are both stubborn and want the same spot inside the hide. Making the hide bigger or adding a second hide didnt help, both always end up in the same hide. Seems the disputes in the hide are worse as they are getting bigger. As hatchlings they liked being in close proximity to each other and would often move around together. They have become indifferent to this behavior over time.

While they share greens in peace, they compete for certain foods like oyster mushrooms, cantaloupe, papaya when plate gets low. Forget about feeding nightcrawlers in each others presents altogether. They get extremely aggressive, fight and bite each others head to get it from the others mouth. Their bite is very hard, they don't let go and can easily injur each other or worse.

They can grow fast under right conditions. I got Browns thinking they would grow slower then Blacks. At 14 months old they are at 5 1/2" SCL and almost 500 grams. 6'x2' closed chamber is becoming tighter quarters for the two, I feel. I will be letting go of one.

Personality wise, they are very alert and curious about their surroundings often studying it. They are not as mobile as other tortoises though, and often emerging from their hide late. They dont walk around aimlessly. Once they find a comfortable spot they will sit there for hours on end just observing. Hunger seems to get them more active. They have good sense of smell, hiding favorite foods thru out the enclosure forces them to forage. They will eagerly eat out of hand when hungry.

They are one of the less pleasant tortoises to hold in hands. Its like holding a clump of nails. Their urine has a strong ammonia odor. They should have constant access to water and take in large volumes when drinking. Being under heavy vegetation and away from bright lights is preferred. Overall one of the more interesting and unique species.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Thanks Yvonne and Mikeh. Taking into consideration their adult size, I think I should maybe just get one. It's good to get an idea of their character. All torts have their particular appeal and I guess with this species it's their size, adult personality, and they just look like what I think an old tort should look like if that makes sense. Appreciate the input from you.