kane Heat mat and cat poop problem

BigTomsMom

Location (City and/or State)
Opelousas louisiana
When using the Kane heat mat do you guys place it on the enclosure’s floor and allow the tortoise to sit on top for heat? I also use a ceramic heat bulb but we have had some pretty cold nights and want to get the mat as extra heat source to put in his hide.

Also, totally different subject but I’m having trouble w my cat pooping in the tortoise yard. When i let my tort out of his night house he likes to find and eat the poo. So gross. Is the poo bad for him? And is there anything i can use to repel the cat from pooping there that won’t be toxic for the tortoise?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Quick response - yes. Place the Kane heat pad on the floor of enclosure, screw it in, ensure cord is fastened properly, plug into your thermostat (with a probe) and you are pretty much done.

Instead of your CHE, look into replacing it with a RHP (less direct heat, more warming effect).

Good source for a RHP - https://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

Over to @Yvonne G for cat poop problem!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They say moth balls repel cats, however, they would be toxic to the tortoise. Vinegar is a good cat repellent, but I don't know if the tortoise would continue to graze on vinegar-sprayed pasture. You can invest in one of those motion sensor sprinklers. When it senses motion it turns on and sprays whatever animal caused it to turn on. The tortoise wouldn't mind a spraying, but cats HATE it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I cat proofed my tortoise pen for that same issue. Feral cats in my case.
I find that cats are looking for bare sand/earth to poop on. So extra mulch and more plants and grass mostly keep them away. The mesh walls and roof do the rest.
I was seriously considering trapping before I figured things out.
Now they're all crapping in the sandy area next to my house where I had a car parked.
Hurry up Bahia grass seed!
And, yes. Depending on the cats medications or diseases, that poop could be VERY bad.