Kamp Kenan

TortoiseRacket

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Does anyone have any experience with getting a tortoise from Kamp Kenan? What do y’all think of his instructional videos?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Some are ok but, I would not get a tortoise from him. He does not always raise them right, let’s his tortoises fight, to the death. And other things I have heard.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
His YouTube videos were the first thing I found when I got Opo. I am grateful that I found TFO.

I was the same, and had to throw away all of the info I had collected when I joined the TFO. Since being here, I am definitely glad I stopped following the advice he’s given.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Agree with the sound advice above.
I have a very low tolerance for shameless self-promoters but especially low tolerance when the person involved spews misinformation.
The Internet is full of people who put on a safari hat,(or a fedora) wear khaki shirts and a crocodile necklace, or the like (I could go on but you get the idea) and then try to become the next Steve Irwin.
Parading around dressed like Indiana Jones doesn't make one an expert on anything. Except being a buffoon, I guess.

TortoiseRacket

New York
Agree with the sound advice above.
I have a very low tolerance for shameless self-promoters but especially low tolerance when the person involved spews misinformation.
The Internet is full of people who put on a safari hat,(or a fedora) wear khaki shirts and a crocodile necklace, or the like (I could go on but you get the idea) and then try to become the next Steve Irwin.
Parading around dressed like Indiana Jones doesn't make one an expert on anything. Except being a buffoon, I guess.
I’m only 11, so I never witnessed Steve Irwin alive. He wore a crocodile necklace?

Last edited by a moderator:

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I’m only 11, so I never witnessed Steve Irwin alive. He wore a crocodile necklace?

Oh no, Steve Irwin didn't wear a tooth necklace, just khaki shorts and an un-tucked khaki shirt.
But a lot of Crocodile Hunter, Crocodile Dundee, Jungle Jim, (and so forth) wannabes do.
Sadly, even Jack Hanna of the San Diego Zoo has taken to wearing silly safari outfits along with a ridiculous hat nowadays as part of his shtick.

Eleven years old huh? Thats a great age to start learning how to be a good animal keeper.

TortoiseRacket

New York
Oh no, Steve Irwin didn't wear a tooth necklace, just khaki shorts and an un-tucked khaki shirt.
But a lot of Crocodile Hunter, Crocodile Dundee, Jungle Jim, (and so forth) wannabes do.
Sadly, even Jack Hanna of the San Diego Zoo has taken to wearing silly safari outfits along with a ridiculous hat nowadays as part of his shtick.

Eleven years old huh? Thats a great age to start learning how to be a good animal keeper.
I got my first leopard gecko when I was 5.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Does anyone have any experience with getting a tortoise from Kamp Kenan? What do y’all think of his instructional videos?

~ I really like most of his videos, however do not agree with some of the advice, direction, etc..

~ I think the point to consider is that his channel is financially driven, he does earn from his views. I really like his obvious passion and simple articulation of things, he is for sure entertaining.

wccmog10

Georgia

I thought Jack Hanna was part of the Columbus Zoo in Ohio?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Kenan Is in Florida. Like I am.
I think he takes for granted that our temperature and environments are very suited to keeping most tortoises with very little needed outdoors.
He's quite entertaining.
But this forum should be able to answer all of your questions.
If Kenan is reading this. I would respectfully suggest he come on board and join us here.