Kalanchoe daigremontiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara P

10 Year Member!
Hi I'm Sara and I'm a new member. I live in Florida and I have a 30 lb sulcata named Frank :) we are moving down the road to a new place that has a bunch of the Kalanchoe daigremontiana (mother of millions.) I have been getting some mixed messages about the possible edibility of it for Frank. One site said it was dangerous for grazing animals and has been linked to diseases in them in Africa. The animal specified was cows though. Africantortoise.com's edibles list says that it's native for african species and indicated it was a viable option. That site only mentioned the Kalanchoe genus in general so I thought maybe this species in particular was bad but I'm not really sure. If anyone is certain it won't harm Frank please let me know. Any information would be appreciated though. Thank you very much. :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1371340901.304855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Mother of millions is toxic to pets. Most of the lists for toxic plants you find on the 'net are geared towards mammals and not tortoises. But that's all we have to go by. I wouldn't take a chance.

Sara P

10 Year Member!
Thanks for responding. The site AfricanTortoise.com has "Kalanchoe spp." listed as native food for African varieties on its edible list of plants.http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm
Here is the link. That is why I am still trying to see if it is ok for African tortoises like sulcata because there seems to be some mixed messages on the 'net.

Status
Not open for further replies.