Just wondering if sparky's size is right

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington state
Hi everyone. I'm curios if sparky's weight is about right for her length. She's 11 inches. And weighs 11 pounds. So a pound an inch. I'm sure this varies some from tort to tort. I've also had her for 11years!!!
Wow that weird all the elevens!!
Sparky is a Redfoot

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hmm I'm really not sure how much my torts weigh but my tort that is bigger than 11 inches (I think) is heavy!!! She's a redfoot. I really should buy a scale!!! I feel like I'm the only one on the forum without a scale :confused:. But I'm pretty sure your right, every tortoise varies!!

Turtlepete

South Florida
Sounds about right. I have adults at 13 inches and around 12-13 pounds. And then one big girl at 15 1/2" who's probably over 18….Haha :).

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
SCL. Usually I just line them up with one of those very thick measuring tapes that doesn't bend and eye it. Accurate enough within an 1/8" which at that size is enough accuracy for me. Smaller tortoises I use a caliper.
Ok thanks & what does SCL mean, still learning some of the abbreviations on the forum.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Ok thanks & what does SCL mean, still learning some of the abbreviations on the forum.

Straight Carapace Length. Its the most common way of measurements with chelonia. Its the distance from the front of the carapace to the back. Plastron length is also sometimes used, but SCL is much more universal.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Straight Carapace Length. Its the most common way of measurements with chelonia. Its the distance from the front of the carapace to the back. Plastron length is also sometimes used, but SCL is much more universal.
Thanks again :)

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
Exactly how I measure!! Thanks for your reply!!

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hmm I'm really not sure how much my torts weigh but my tort that is bigger than 11 inches (I think) is heavy!!! She's a redfoot. I really should buy a scale!!! I feel like I'm the only one on the forum without a scale :confused:. But I'm pretty sure your right, every tortoise varies!!

Don't feel bad, I don't have a scale either :p. I pick up my tort and say "Yup, he's heavy." or "Damn, you're light today, are you getting enough water and food?"

The vet is my only real way of knowing how much Scooter really weighs :p