Just wanted to know generally what is it...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.

So i want to know what is your biggest sacrifice you have made for your tortoise???...i think mine is....
Either paying for him myself (( im joking ))
Or letting his table take up so much of my spare part of my bedroom
(My bedroom is split in half with a door)! :D :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think of any of it as "sacrafice" at all. The tortoises are a big part of my life, and they come first for me. When I go to the store, 95% of the bill is for tortoise food. A good part of my day is spent taking care of tortoises and their pens. Its a labor of love...not sacrifice.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
emysemys said:
I don't think of any of it as "sacrafice" at all. The tortoises are a big part of my life, and they come first for me. When I go to the store, 95% of the bill is for tortoise food. A good part of my day is spent taking care of tortoises and their pens. Its a labor of love...not sacrifice.

:) well said

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
totaly agree i only have the one but when my mother goes shopping its tortoise food tortoise food...everyweekend im at a pet shop to buy mazuri...or...cuttlefish.....yes im always changing his enclosure about or batheing himm.......alot of enjoyable work come with owning a tortoise! :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i Sacrificed a portion of pasture to build thier pens. and a barn stall... some extra elctricity in the winter, veggies from the garden, a few sacrificial pumpkins every year....

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
No sacrifices here....except my love for travel. They will always come first and I will always leave them in capable hands...but never for extended periods of time.

Same with all of my pets... Abba is by far the with whom I share an unconditional bond with. She has pulled me through some hard times. Pets are good for our souls...

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Hm, interesting topic. I gave up the front inclosed porch for Bowser. That way she can have her own "bedroom", lol. My younger brother talked about moving in with me and my husband once and I said well it's up to Bowser because thats who you would share the room with ;)

It's funny when you talk about shopping. When we check out the cashiers comments sometimes about the healthy items we have. Then they are speechless sometimes when I tell them they are for my pets and the frozen food is for us :rolleyes:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Ej said it very well. Pets are good for our soul. No sacrifice here either. I had a great loss in my life, and my animals give me a reason to get up in the morning. Without my animals and my faith, I wouldn't be here. They make me laugh, and sometimes cry, but they are all worth it.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
My tort is so low maintenance that I don't feel like I sacrificed much at all. There's the price of supplies - seeds, spring mix, tnt, etc., but even the price of supplies is minimal and far less than my other pets. He's taken over a chunk of my backyard, but I wasn't using it for anything else, so its all good. ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First interesting question and a new one! :)

My children, when they were younger would have given you long lists of what THEY had to sacrifice for my tortoise addiction. Things like cable (okay even just plain TV), electronic items, fancier clothes, and of course just the room.

To me, like the rest it isn't a sacrifice, unless some how that term could be really positive. For me they just bring so much to my life from keeping depression at bay on those days when things go wrong, when memories of losses grow strong, when life starts to feel like nothing but an uphill climb that never end. When there is nobody else to talk to all my animals are there... and they give great advice. :cool:

Yes they tale a huge chunk of my time, my money, my yard, my home, and my heart, but the price is just so cheap for what they give back.

Because of them I never lose that special wonder young children always possess, I take delight in the small things, and I stop to smell the rose (and other plants I raise for them :D ). They keep me getting up and doing things outside, they cause me to keep learning and also growing as a person. Because of them I have gotten to met each and everyone of you. Some I only know from those small glimpses you share with us and some I have been honored to met in person. :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sadly I can't smell the roses, my tortoises eat them all, I don't view it as a sacrifice either, I enjoy their company, and they enjoy being fed by me.

jbean7916

5 Year Member
well I haven't had KP for long but I'm already sacrificing much of my fridge/freezer for him and my other critters!!! I don't mind at all though, the less room there is for food, the less I have to cook :p

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
If anything I would say space. Living in a place that get's so cold and trying to give the torts enough room and a decent micro-climate is challenging. But my husband just had the brilliant idea of renovating the basement into a tortoise world:). We get to turn off the dehumidifyer's for once!! We are starting this weekend so it will be ready once the cold weather is here, yay!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
CtTortoiseMom said:
If anything I would say space. Living in a place that get's so cold and trying to give the torts enough room and a decent micro-climate is challenging. But my husband just had the brilliant idea of renovating the basement into a tortoise world:). We get to turn off the dehumidifyer's for once!! We are starting this weekend so it will be ready once the cold weather is here, yay!!

Cool idea!

To answer the initial question: Never thought about it in terms of sacrifices...I get so much happiness from having my tortoises (and our other pets) in my life that, to me, they're a blessing, never a burden.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
I agree about my pets being a blessing and not a burden. I enjoy spending time, effort and money on my pets and enriching their lives as much as they enrich mine. I spend a lot of time every day taking care of my tortoise before and after work - cleaning, feeding, soaking, giving him outdoor time, driving all over town to get his food, etc. but he is such a blessing to have and gives me so much enjoyment that it is all worth it and I love every minute of it.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Hmm I tried to think of me sacrificing and it's probably sleeping a bit later than usual to make sure my torty is ok. Other than that it's pretty fun and I really don't see it as a sacrifice.

Picking up dog poop is a chore though.

Status
Not open for further replies.