Just got a tortoise, seeking advice!

Jferrmarie

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hello and thanks in advance!
We just got a tortoise from a family friend who went off to college. She had been feeding her only lettuce 2x a day for as long as she’s had her... I’ve had tortoises before, but many years ago, so I’m a little rusty - but know this is not correct. The tortoise’s beak is over grown, her tail is white and sort of stuck to her? Her shell is also quite brittle, has what looks like some breakage around the rim, and has rough patches on top. I’m looking for a good vet near me, but in the mean time any suggestions? Do I have to introduce new foods slowly? The tortoise is 11 years old

Attachments

• 127D6FFF-F546-49C2-B52D-3A275005C39A.jpeg
    127D6FFF-F546-49C2-B52D-3A275005C39A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • B891BD83-6D96-4FFD-94A1-5A23528C3F32.jpeg
    B891BD83-6D96-4FFD-94A1-5A23528C3F32.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 6AE2969D-C463-4B08-B9FF-06122BF27060.jpeg
    6AE2969D-C463-4B08-B9FF-06122BF27060.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 3B7F3FB2-D211-4F24-8CA3-1169FAB85D2D.jpeg
    3B7F3FB2-D211-4F24-8CA3-1169FAB85D2D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, welcome and thanks for saving this poor tort.
Yes her beak and claws need a good trim/file down - they're so overgrown she'll feel a lot better just for that when you find a vet.
Do you know what species she is?
Have you tried soaking her in shallow luke warm water yet to see if it helps clean her tail? The white around it could be dried urates, but if you post some pics there are members far more qualified than me to tell you what it is.
See if she eats any of the new foods you offer but if she refuses chop it up and give it with some of the food she will eat - if you wet the leaves they'll stick together and be hard to avoid. Then gradually increase the better food and reduce the bad, Most torts can't handle sugars so fruit is best avoided.
I hope that helps or has pointed you in the right direction.
There are caresheets and if you know the species I can post a link for you.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome to the Forum. Yes, you’re right - a lot of things should be changed, including a (gradual) beak reduction. I’m sure it needs a much larger enclosure, better substrate & a much more varied/healthy diet. First thing i would do is give it a nice long soak in shallow warm water. Then start doing that (soak) every few days.

Good luck

Jferrmarie

Illinois
Hi, welcome and thanks for saving this poor tort.
Yes her beak and claws need a good trim/file down - they're so overgrown she'll feel a lot better just for that when you find a vet.
Do you know what species she is?
Have you tried soaking her in shallow luke warm water yet to see if it helps clean her tail? The white around it could be dried urates, but if you post some pics there are members far more qualified than me to tell you what it is.
See if she eats any of the new foods you offer but if she refuses chop it up and give it with some of the food she will eat - if you wet the leaves they'll stick together and be hard to avoid. Then gradually increase the better food and reduce the bad, Most torts can't handle sugars so fruit is best avoided.
I hope that helps or has pointed you in the right direction.
There are caresheets and if you know the species I can post a link for you.
Thank you so much! I’ll give her a little soak today to see if it helps! I believe it’s is a Russian tortoise, that’s what the girl had said though she had originally thought it was a box turtle so I’m not sure she’s certain.

Jferrmarie

Illinois
Greetings & Welcome to the Forum. Yes, you’re right - a lot of things should be changed, including a (gradual) beak reduction. I’m sure it needs a much larger enclosure, better substrate & a much more varied/healthy diet. First thing i would do is give it a nice long soak in shallow warm water. Then start doing that (soak) every few days.

Good luck
Thank you! We have been shopping around for a better (larger) enclosure as the poor thing barely has room to move around here. I plan on trying a soak today for her hoping that helps!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you! We have been shopping around for a better (larger) enclosure as the poor thing barely has room to move around here. I plan on trying a soak today for her hoping that helps!
At 11 years old she's going to need quite a big enclosure - 4' x 8' is the recommended space but the bigger the better so that she has room to roam for digestion and bone health. Sounds like she's had a pretty rough time of it. :(

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello and thanks in advance!
We just got a tortoise from a family friend who went off to college. She had been feeding her only lettuce 2x a day for as long as she’s had her... I’ve had tortoises before, but many years ago, so I’m a little rusty - but know this is not correct. The tortoise’s beak is over grown, her tail is white and sort of stuck to her? Her shell is also quite brittle, has what looks like some breakage around the rim, and has rough patches on top. I’m looking for a good vet near me, but in the mean time any suggestions? Do I have to introduce new foods slowly? The tortoise is 11 years old
Welcome to the forum. And thanks for taking over his care. It makes me very sad that the previous owner didn't take the time to take better care of this tort or learn how to take better care of it. So I'm glad the tort found his way to you.

We learn how to take better care of our torts every day on this forum, so don't be surprised if care recommendations have changed since you owned your last tort. Ask questions. Let us know how we can help. Keep us updated on how the 2 of you are doing!!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
You have yourself a Russian tortoise. Beak needs to be trimmed asap. I would give soaks 3 times a week to make sure he/she is hydrated. Fresh clean substrate, clean water supply, clean fresh variety of food (broad leafy greens, weeds, flowers) absolutely no fruit. Cactus pads, cucumber are good snacks.

they like to bask and hide so providing a lot of hiding spots are essential for russians. They do not like to be handled as they tend to get stressed easily.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Here are some lovely pictures of my guy.

Attachments

• BEC4CB56-0A78-4FDA-9A85-AC894654F5DD.png
    BEC4CB56-0A78-4FDA-9A85-AC894654F5DD.png
    565.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 35A0CA50-9E89-46D6-AE9C-62D4233B1489.jpeg
    35A0CA50-9E89-46D6-AE9C-62D4233B1489.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 4BC1C09A-EBBA-43BC-96BF-C361AADF04C9.png
    4BC1C09A-EBBA-43BC-96BF-C361AADF04C9.png
    636.8 KB · Views: 8
  • D9A1BF64-E397-414B-9F0D-8FD50DEEDF25.jpeg
    D9A1BF64-E397-414B-9F0D-8FD50DEEDF25.jpeg