Just Getting Started

Chass

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi, I am getting my new tortoise on Friday & have a few questions before he arrives. My local feed/animal store sells coco soft, will this be ok to use as substrate or should I just do cypress mulch? I also asked if they carry the Zoological Tortoise brand food & she said they carried Missouri Brand Tortoise food...will this work or do I need to hunt down the Zoological Brand. My Sulcata is 3 months old. One more question, I know you start then on hay around 2-3yrs old but I read that hatchlings can have Orchard hay(hey do carry oxbow orchard grass hay) do I need to get this hay for him? I appreciate any info...Thanks:))

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The more variety you can provide the better, so yes to all of your questions. If you cut the hay really small and sprinkle it on the greens he will learn to eat it. This small he won't eat much hay. Grass should be the main part of his diet. Zoomed and Mazuri are both good commercial foods. I feed them each once or twice a week with the greens for the day.

Chass

5 Year Member
Louisiana
The more variety you can provide the better, so yes to all of your questions. If you cut the hay really small and sprinkle it on the greens he will learn to eat it. This small he won't eat much hay. Grass should be the main part of his diet. Zoomed and Mazuri are both good commercial foods. I feed them each once or twice a week with the greens for the day.
OK Thanks for your help, I was speaking to someone on the phone @ the feed store and she was not sure if coco noir & coco soft were the same thing. So I'll get the coco soft for the substrate & have fresh cut grass & Mazuri each morning & each evening. Do I soak him every day or every other day...he's 3 months & I don't want to harm him. I'm just nervous & want everything just right for when he arrives:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The brand of manufactured food your feed store sells is the good one. It is spelled Mazuri, and it's what a lot of us use as a supplement to a natural, green diet.

Babies don't eat hay until they get to be a few years old, but you can soften some in water then cut it with the scissors and mix it in with the greens to give him a bit more fiber in his diet.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
OK Thanks for your help, I was speaking to someone on the phone @ the feed store and she was not sure if coco noir & coco soft were the same thing. So I'll get the coco soft for the substrate & have fresh cut grass & Mazuri each morning & each evening. Do I soak him every day or every other day...he's 3 months & I don't want to harm him. I'm just nervous & want everything just right for when he arrives:)
I soak most every day for the first year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I am getting my new tortoise on Friday & have a few questions before he arrives. My local feed/animal store sells coco soft, will this be ok to use as substrate or should I just do cypress mulch? I also asked if they carry the Zoological Tortoise brand food & she said they carried Missouri Brand Tortoise food...will this work or do I need to hunt down the Zoological Brand. My Sulcata is 3 months old. One more question, I know you start then on hay around 2-3yrs old but I read that hatchlings can have Orchard hay(hey do carry oxbow orchard grass hay) do I need to get this hay for him? I appreciate any info...Thanks:))

Hi Chass. Welcome to the forum.

First: Where are you getting your tortoise? Most breeders start them far too dry, and the end result can be both heartbreaking and disastrous. Read this ASAP and find out how your incoming baby was started:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Next, your questions:
1. Coco fiber (coco soft) is okay, but too messy for my taste for this species. Cypress mulch is also okay, but some of the pieces are too large and I don't care for the jagged edges and ends. I find that fine grade orchid bark works best. You can get it cheap and in bulk from any garden center. I like the smell of orchid bark too.
2. Mazuri is a good supplemental food, but read this for what you should be feeding:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
3. I would not bother with hay for a baby. Use fresh grass.

Check these out for more care info and what NOT to do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Come back with all your questions.

Chass

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Thanks y'all, I planted some romaine lettuce & collard greens yesterday & will definitely be getting supplies from the hardware store. I'll post some pics of the setup & Roger when he gets here on Friday!!!!