Just dreaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bllauben

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Marine City, Michigan
Come this spring, I want to take my tax money and build me a new tort table. Here's what I have in mind.

The substrate free zone is level with the substrate. The substrate is 8 inches deep.

My boyfriend told me not to use screen windows. Instead, we're going to use plexi-glass.

I'm still trying to come up with heights. I've got to make the hideways tall enough for the torts to get into, but not tall enough for Patches to follow them and get stuck.

What do you all think?

--Beth

Attachments

• tort table.JPG
    tort table.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 79

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Plexiglass walls? If so, I wouldnt do it. Your tortoise might start rubbing his face on it, pacing back and forth trying to figure out why he can go any farther. Also, plexiglass is hard to keep clean and when it gets scratched it really starts to look bad (you'll regret it).

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
If this is for a "drier" type of tort then I think the screen windows are great. Make certain the tops are "capped" so they can't climb out. The screen would allow for some air flow, which would be nice.

If this is for a more "humid" type of tort then the plexiglass is fine. My torts have no problem with it. I have yet to see them rub their noses raw, yet others have had problems with it in the past. It does scratch though. Maybe you could use glass instead? Personally, I like that I used plexiglass in my enclosure because I like being able to look in at them at their level and see what they're up to. Makes it more fun for me.

bllauben

5 Year Member
Marine City, Michigan
I am thinking a fine mesh screen. It's for my Russian torts. I would love to incorporate a small fountain somewhere, but the boyfriend is concerned about electrical use and the torts getting the substrate in the water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd use tempered glass. They'll cut it to whatever size you want and it won't scratch.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
I'd use tempered glass. They'll cut it to whatever size you want and it won't scratch.

I like the tempered glass idea...that's the direction I'd go if I were building a table...I'd also like to see a CHE and and MVB over the 'substrate-free zone'...which I hope would be slate or flagstone...along those lines.

And dreaming is good...especially when dreams come to fruition;)

bllauben

5 Year Member
Marine City, Michigan
By the CHE and and MVB, you mean my UVA/UVB heat emitting light? I am actually thinking about putting that over the substrate free zone. I like your idea about the slate and flag stone. I wonder if this would work:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_205855-3469...Ntt=slate&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=slate

Perhaps I could find a few medium sized rocks to put in there too.

I am thinking about using vinyl tiles to line the bottom of the substrate and the top of the shelf. I found some tiles that look like slate. Really pretty. My only concern would be that the torts would gouge the tile.

This is what I was thinking about using as the lining:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_176464-61-A...s_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&page=2

I am going to put corner caps on so the torts don't get out. The boyfriend and I do like the idea of the tempered glass. That would be nice since Boris and Sonya enjoy watching the TV.

--Beth

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I'd be careful about the linoleum lining. My russians ripped through my linoleum lining after only a couple months of digging around.

Maybe this is way out field, but could you line it with tile? I've never heard of anyone else doing that, but since your table won't be that big you'd probably be able to do it. The perk is that when they dig and run up against it, it will probably feel more like they dug into rock, which would help file nails, and hopefully deter them from digging into the corners. Those slate tiles would look really nice.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
line it with frp (fiber-reinforced plastic) with silicone in the corners. It's cheap and they'll never dig through it in a million years. They have it at home depot. You buy it in an 8'x4' sheet (just like plywood).

Why don't you get a 3'x2'x8" cement mixing bin and sink that in for the substrate area? That's what I did in my russian enclosure and they have laid dozens of eggs in it. You do need to put the heat lamp over the substrate though. If they need to lay eggs, they only do it under the heat lamp, and they can burrow under the light to thermoregulate.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I almost used ceramic tile in my enclosure, and at times still wish I had. It has some great benefits and provides a heat ballasting effect. I'd suggest using epoxy grout. Standard grout would be impossible to keep clean and might play host to nasty bacteria.

I've become an advocate of sealed up enclosures so will vote for plex or glass over screen, even for "drier" torts, as I think Tom has significantly proven the benefits of high humidity for desert torts (juveniles/babies at least). PLex does scratch easily, but with having kids I opted for it over tempered. If/When tempered breaks it shatters into a bazillion tiny bits that will likely scatter all over an enclosure and be a nightmare to clean up.

Even though Rocky went from an "aquarium" to her new home, she paced the window for a bit, which obviously really surprised me. SHe got over it after a while, and now just comes to the window to make eye contact with us. If it was really a concern you can just make the sides solid and have the window start above the tort's eyeline.

all in all I like the design, and think you're on a good track!

Status
Not open for further replies.