Just did my babies new habitat plz let me know watch guy think

tdt86

If it needs improvement let me know if you see something wrong with it thank youImageUploadedByTortForum1398201485.755724.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1398201506.522366.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1398201529.289112.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1398201553.190909.jpg

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Looks really good! Only thing I'd change is see if you can make a hide that is a bit more enclosed and humid.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Pls keep an eye out for signs of frustration due to the open glass sides. You might need to put a layer of paint on the lower half to avoid that. Looks cozy esp with a tweaked hide!

scubaMO

Pls keep an eye out for signs of frustration due to the open glass sides. You might need to put a layer of paint on the lower half to avoid that. Looks cozy esp with a tweaked hide!

Open glass sides can make them frustrated?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size is it and is it for the two in the pic? Looks too small for one of them, but pics can be deceiving. I would also add some plants.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also keep a close eye out for bullying. The two of the, in that one enclosure, trouble could arise.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
It is my understanding, supported by some experience, that they will try very hard to get to any area they can see laterally.

scubaMO

What size is it and is it for the two in the pic? Looks too small for one of them, but pics can be deceiving. I would also add some plants.
They are pretty much the same size, the tank is 2.5ft x 1ft. This tank is bigger than their other one

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1398224686.702273.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1398224686.702273.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 65

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
If that enclosure is both those torts its way too small. Why is their food dish in their water dish? There are some great threads on enclosed chambers to read.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would:
Get a much larger enclosure.
Separate the two of them.
Get rid of that food bowl. The sides are too high.
Add more substrate.
Make a proper humid hide. Not cardboard and wide open.

I can't tell what all is going on on top with the foil. Can you post a pic showing all that and explain?

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
I agree. The main thing I think is that you should think about getting a much bigger one and one that they can't see out of. There are plenty of ways to easily do this with little money put into it if you get creative :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Man..you've worked hard to upgrade the little guys' home, and we're shooting you down. I have to agree that the aquarium is too small for even one of those babies. You can buy a pretty big plastic tub for around $30. You can even buy two of them and either cut a hole and insert a pvc tunnel connecting them, or cut out opposing ends and put them together.

I understand your thinking about the food in the plant saucer...you're trying to keep the food clean. You can achieve this by placing some flat rocks around the food dish. But, no matter what you do, they are going to track substrate through the food, that's just what they do. This is one reason you want a substrate that is edible or at least not harmful if ingested.

I think you need to re-read the posts about growing baby sulcatas smooth by keeping them humid and moist. One way to do this is to have a humid hiding place. You can't have humidity in a cardboard hiding place. Pack some moist sphagnum moss inside a cut-in-half-lengthwise plastic pot and there you are!

erdavis

5 Year Member
Man..you've worked hard to upgrade the little guys' home, and we're shooting you down. I have to agree that the aquarium is too small for even one of those babies. You can buy a pretty big plastic tub for around $30. You can even buy two of them and either cut a hole and insert a pvc tunnel connecting them, or cut out opposing ends and put them together.

I understand your thinking about the food in the plant saucer...you're trying to keep the food clean. You can achieve this by placing some flat rocks around the food dish. But, no matter what you do, they are going to track substrate through the food, that's just what they do. This is one reason you want a substrate that is edible or at least not harmful if ingested.

I think you need to re-read the posts about growing baby sulcatas smooth by keeping them humid and moist. One way to do this is to have a humid hiding place. You can't have humidity in a cardboard hiding place. Pack some moist sphagnum moss inside a cut-in-half-lengthwise plastic pot and there you are!

Yvonne I have a question about the sphagnum moss,
In my humid hide I only have a hole in it big enough for my sulcata to go in and out. But I have still found it impossible to keep sphagnum moss in it. Literally the LONGEST i can get the moss to stay in the hide is two days MAYBE, but even by day one the moss is already all over the cage and mixed in with substrate so that I can't even put it back. I would be going through a whole bag of sphagnum moss a week if I tried to keep some always in there. I even tried taping that flimsy plastic stuff over the door to keep it in there, still with no luck. I eventually found myself mostly giving up and only put it in there when I really clean his enclosure, so see it all over the cage the next morning. I do keep a huge moist sponge hot glued to the inside roof to keep some humidity, but I feel bad because I feel like when he was much much smaller he liked to snuggle in the moss sometimes. Do you have any reccomendations? I feel like I'm missing something because everyone else seems to be able to do it.

scubaMO

I would:
Get a much larger enclosure.
Separate the two of them.
Get rid of that food bowl. The sides are too high.
Add more substrate.
Make a proper humid hide. Not cardboard and wide open.

I can't tell what all is going on on top with the foil. Can you post a pic showing all that and explain?
Should we still be spraying the substrate? It's getting dry

erdavis

5 Year Member
Yes, you will still need to spray it every once in awhile. The lights will still cause the water to evaporate from the substrate so its important to keep adding water to it.
I like the new food tray, is that a paint roller tray?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne I have a question about the sphagnum moss,
In my humid hide I only have a hole in it big enough for my sulcata to go in and out. But I have still found it impossible to keep sphagnum moss in it. Literally the LONGEST i can get the moss to stay in the hide is two days MAYBE, but even by day one the moss is already all over the cage and mixed in with substrate so that I can't even put it back....

Every morning I find the sphagnum moss in the waterer...which is on the extreme opposite end from the hide. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see how the moss travels from the hiding place across 3 or 4' of open space and plants itself in the water. I just gather it all up, scraping the top of the substrate to get every little straggler, and push it back into the hiding place. I only have to add new moss about once a week. I should say that I pull it all apart when I put fresh stuff in there so its in small pieces.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should we still be spraying the substrate? It's getting dry
Spraying usually isn't enough. Usually you have to dump some water in there. Every enclosure is different, so you will have to watch yours and add water to the substrate as needed. With an open top and hot bulbs on the outside of the tank, you are fighting a losing battle.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Erin, I've never been able to make the sphagnum moss work either. You are not alone. I saw mine trying to eat it sometimes too. I just don't bother with it anymore.