Just a reminder of how great ya'll are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sardis, MS
I just want to tell everyone how awesome they are on this forum. You guys have helped me and so many others that didn't know what we needed to know about raising a tortoise. I have learned so much and I’m extremely grateful for that. You people really care about tortoises and it shows by the many posts and long answers to even just one person that has a question. So again, thanks for all of your time and effort helping us.

:--LIGHT BULB--: I think we need to have a tortoise appreciation day for all you people. Hey why not today? Or maybe there is already one and I just don't know about it.

If you have any stories to share about how great these people are share them so they know how much we really appreciate their hard work.:)

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I recently joined as a long time keeper of a red foot, but 1st time keeper of a hingeback. I knew very little about my hingeback, and asked alot of questions.
Every question was answered thoroughly and in a friendly matter.
Originally I was gonna get the info I needed and , just come back when I had more questions, But I've felt so welcome here that I cant close the site lol

THANKS EVERYONE

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Kenny said:
I recently joined as a long time keeper of a red foot, but 1st time keeper of a hingeback. I knew very little about my hingeback, and asked alot of questions.
Every question was answered thoroughly and in a friendly matter.
Originally I was gonna get the info I needed and , just come back when I had more questions, But I've felt so welcome here that I cant close the site lol

THANKS EVERYONE

Thanks for your reply. I love this site...Im on it everyday even though I dont post everyday Im lurking about :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OK...here's a Christmas story, if ever there was one.
I've been a member since this forum started. A while back, my little grandson, who lives with me and had a very hard life so far, saved up some money to get a box turtle hatchling, and with me adding the rest of the money we sent $100 to someone who was advertising on a classified. We were scammed for the money, and my little grandson was hartbroken, and I didn't have another $100 to put out for another one. Yvonne, the kindest person in the world, sent us a little Eastern baby. There was a lawyer who used to post on here, and he made it his business to badger that person, and finally I got my money back. Everyone rallied round me for support. I never had anything like this happen to me before, and it really restored my faith in human kindness. I never met anyone on this forum face to face, and yet everyone was there for me. Stephanie once said that through these posts we only get the smallest glimpse of each other's lives, and that's so true, and yet everyone's kindness has been projected through these posts many times. I feel very proud and humbled just to be a small part of these kind people's lives.
This is Tim with little Chewy, that Yvonne sent him.
vvvvvvvv-1.jpg

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
terryo said:
I've been a member since this forum started. A while back, my little grandson, who lives with me and had a very hard life so far, saved up some money to get a box turtle hatchling, and with me adding the rest of the money we sent $100 to someone who was advertising on a classified. We were scammed for the money, and my little grandson was hartbroken, and I didn't have another $100 to put out for another one. Yvonne, the kindest person in the world, sent us a little Eastern baby. There was a lawyer who used to post on here, and he made it his business to badger that person, and finally I got my money back. Everyone rallied round me for support. I never had anything like this happen to me before, and it really restored my faith in human kindness. I never met anyone on this forum face to face, and yet everyone was there for me. Stephanie once said that through these posts we only get the smallest glimpse of each other's lives, and that's so true, and yet everyone's kindness has been projected through these posts many times. I feel very proud and humbled just to be a small part of these kind people's lives.

O my goodness. Thats is the sweetest story ever. It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story. BTW you are one of the many people on this forum that I am talking about. Thanks for everything you do.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
terryo said:
vvvvvvvv-1.jpg

That is probably the kindest thing that i have heard!! God bless Yvonne! This story had me tear up :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I appreciate how all, and I mean ALL of the forum members welcome the new folks and are so ready with answers to newbie questions, even though it seems to be the same question over and over again. Every once in a while someone might lose patience, but over all, the majority of the members are so willing and helpful...and friendly! I really appreciate that.

I used to be an avid YAHOOgroups member, belonging to over 10 different groups. I still maintain a few of my YAHOO memberships, but I hardly ever go and look at them anymore. Most of those people only have one way to do things and they don't appreciate or accept new things. The folks here are just so willing to try the new stuff. And are just plain old friendly!

Thank you, forum!

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
I agree.

Everyone here has been great. I'm a member of a few other forums where your almost afraid to post a question because it seems that people look for an excuse to rip into one another. Never had any issue here, all my question were answer above and beyond my expectations.

Thanks again everyone.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
emysemys said:
Well, I appreciate how all, and I mean ALL of the forum members welcome the new folks and are so ready with answers to newbie questions, even though it seems to be the same question over and over again. Every once in a while someone might lose patience, but over all, the majority of the members are so willing and helpful...and friendly! I really appreciate that.

I used to be an avid YAHOOgroups member, belonging to over 10 different groups. I still maintain a few of my YAHOO memberships, but I hardly ever go and look at them anymore. Most of those people only have one way to do things and they don't appreciate or accept new things. The folks here are just so willing to try the new stuff. And are just plain old friendly!

Thank you, forum!

I concur. I've been a member of over a dozen forums and most of them had the "elitist clique" that, if you didn't do it their way, you were all but ostracized from the community.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And let's don't forget Bob. Bob was really into escaping, climbing up six or eight steps, walking across the deck then down more steps and going AWOL down the middle of the street. One of our members anonymously donated the $$ so Maggie could build him a more secure fence.

And DoctorCosmonaut built a restricting gate at the top of the steps to further inhibit the AWOL. (Speaking of who, where is he? We haven't seen a posting from DoctorCosmonaut in quite a while now)

And then there's Cory who sent out quite a bit of free Mazuri (I know there was an ulterior motive to sell Mazuri, but get real, free! folks!!)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
This most definitely is a fantastic forum, and the single most "newbie" friendly atmosphere I've experienced or witnessed on a herp forum. The folks here are friendly, welcoming, helpful, and all around supportive. Heck, it feels like a lifetime since I last owned a tortoise, and I still can't bring myself to leave!

Thank you, everyone, for this great community!!!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I love this forum! I have learned ever so much from just checking in every day, and I know that my knowledge will continue to be expanded. My torts are benefitting all the time from this forum. And it's a relief to know that if trouble arises, I have a source of information and support.
Other forums not so great. A few years ago my daughter had a clutch of dove babes that started out great, then began to fail. I joined a Yahoo dove group hoping for advice. The most recent post when I joined said, "Coo. Peace." I posted my situation and asked for advice, pointers, then watched the forum for a few days. There was never any response to my post. A few people were posting about a dove person who had died, and there were some rambling posts that made me question the mental stability of the members. Anyway, the babes died and I left that group without another word. We eventually found the website of a diamond dove person and have been following her suggestions for our ringnecks ever since.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree with everything said!

The biggest difference I have seen with this forum versus the not so good forums is that the members here care about respecting each other, and also care more about taking good care of their tortoises than they do about flat out being right all the time!

Even though I have only met two of the members here face to face, I consider many of you my close friends if only through the fact that we are all animal lovers, and ESPECIALLY because we are all tortoise lovers ;) Thank you for all of the wonderful gifts of knowledge and friendship you all have given to me, and thank you for taking the time to care as much about MY tortoises as you do your own. It means more to me than you all could ever really know.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A lot of people do not know about this, but on the posts, up by the upper right hand corner, is a number for 'Reputation'.

If you feel someone is helpful and worthy of a little recognition, you can click on someone's number and give them a nice boost and leave a note, you can also review other people's notes as well.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
When i brought Bert home i was soo nervous! And I really needed help. It was my great husband that got me on here, and I couldnt have been more relieved. I would ask sooo many questions over and over! Not a single person ever made me feel stupid or bad for asking even what i thought, was a stupid question.
I am not one to be social to begin with, but everyone on here really made me feel welcome and gave me the confidence i needed. And even though Bert will be going to a new wonderful home, and i will really miss the little monster, I will still be checking in and keeping up on things for when i get the next one some day.
But I just want to say thank you to all the great people out there and say that you all help soo many just like me! I dont know what i would have done! thank you :)

terryo said:
vvvvvvvv-1.jpg
what a story! brings tears to my eyes! what a big wonderful smile i see! warms the heart to hear about all the great people, and knowing they are still out there.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
It was funny, before I came to this forum I had done a ton of research online, and was confident I knew what I was doing. Thank goodness I found this forum, because man did I have a lot to learn!!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I agree 100% with everyone that has posted to this thread. Like Snapper, I had been doing a lot of research online and thought that I was well prepared to get a tort months ago. Then I stumbled upon this forum and man, so many questions I had never thought of had been brought up! Luckily everyone on this website is generous with their knowledge and experiences. I decided to hold off on getting a tort for another few months and lurked around the website till finally I made an account and got serious. Thanks to Tom and Cory my wife and I are proud new tort parents. Thank you to everyone who goes out of their way to greet new comers and answer the questions that everyone has.

tico057p1.jpg

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I agree with what everyone has said as well. I wasn't a tortoise owner when I joined, I wanted one but knew I needed to do some research first. Everyone here was so helpful and answered all of my questions with respect and encouragement. And shortly after I joined, I got my fabulous Betty White from Danny :D I feel very confident that I can provide her with everything she needs because of the information & support from the people on this forum. Thank you to everyone who is a part of this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.