just a question on my sulcata...

Status
Not open for further replies.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
So... My sulcata is about to be a year old!
Im so happy..
She lives outside... I made her a burrow, and she eats grasses, and weeds around the yard.... I give her mazuri with plain calcium once or twice at week.
I used to soak her a lot when she was younger, but now I do it once a week. The shell is lovely healthy and smooth.
I just wanna make sure she is having the correct size and weight by the age she is now...
I know there is not a rule with the size and weight... but it would be great to know an approximate size and weight it should be....

thanks everyone =)

here! some pictures

ot3i.jpg

4m8h.jpg

mkl1.jpg

she will be a year old in about a month or so

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Really nice looking tort. Have you been keeping her the hot and humid way? How ever you have been raising her to be smooth, you should keep it up until she is at least 8 inches or so.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Looks good to me! I have seen smaller and larger sullys at one year of age. They all grow at different rates. More important to be concerned about the health and development and it looks like you have been doing a great job at that. My Darwin was close to that size at one year. Great job!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks fantastic. Great job. The size is very similar to all of mine at one year. I wouldn't change a thing.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
wow! thanks a lot!
Its really nice to see that experienced people thinks my sullie looks great!!
I've been doing just what you guys recommend....
She has 100% natural sunlight all day long, warm weather... (I live in the sonora desert, so... this isnt a big concern for me)
And like I said, I dont soak her much,and the weather its really dry.... but I think that the burrow I made for her keeps enough humidity.
And well... she feeds on all kind of grasses that are in my garden, and I also use mazuri with calcium sometimes.. just to make sure she is getting enough calcium.

Oh... and just another question when and how will I be able to know the sex?
also... is there any other good advice you guys would give me so far?

Thanks a lot for the quick answer everyone!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When your tortoise is bigger, you will be able to tell by the size of the tail and shape of the anal scutes. Males also get a concave plastron, have larger gular scutes and sometimes have a larger head in relation to body size.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
You have a very handsome sulcata. You have done a nice job. From what you have described it seems like you have created a very natural environment for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.