Sulcata 6 years old losing weight

MistyCastle

Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert, Arizona
I have a 6 year old sulcata that showed up at my house last year and the owner was found but she did not want it. She was gaining weight and went from 25 to 35 pounds in about 6 months. Since August she has started losing weight and is down to 29.4 pounds. I grow summer and winter grass, alfalfa, clover, dandelion, hibiscus, grapes, no fertilizers or chemicals. Supplement with collard and turnip greens and mazuri tortoise pellets. Have a desert tortoise and a younger sulcata before the rescued sulcata so my yard has always been completely chemical free. Never put tortoises together. Each have their own very large yard. Heated box that keeps an 83 to 85 temp and 70 humidity. Do sulcata lose weight? This weight loss has been from August to now. Just wondering if I should take her to the vet.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hhhmmmm. When I first started reading I was going to ask if you kept all your torts together and there was bullying going on, but, thats not the case.

Temps and food all seem fine with the added bonus of a heated night box.

I’m wondering maybe if it has a ton of worms/parasites? Might be worth a vet visit for a fecal exam.

Lets see what others think @Tom and @Yvonne G might have better ideas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 6 year old sulcata that showed up at my house last year and the owner was found but she did not want it. She was gaining weight and went from 25 to 35 pounds in about 6 months. Since August she has started losing weight and is down to 29.4 pounds. I grow summer and winter grass, alfalfa, clover, dandelion, hibiscus, grapes, no fertilizers or chemicals. Supplement with collard and turnip greens and mazuri tortoise pellets. Have a desert tortoise and a younger sulcata before the rescued sulcata so my yard has always been completely chemical free. Never put tortoises together. Each have their own very large yard. Heated box that keeps an 83 to 85 temp and 70 humidity. Do sulcata lose weight? This weight loss has been from August to now. Just wondering if I should take her to the vet.
Not normal. How often do you soak? Might be dehydrated. I would definitely take a fecal sample in.

MistyCastle

Gilbert, Arizona
Since it has been cold only once a week but in the summer they have plastic kiddie pools that they get in and out of all day. I will up her soaks and take a decal sample to the vet. Thank you for your suggestions.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Since it has been cold only once a week but in the summer they have plastic kiddie pools that they get in and out of all day. I will up her soaks and take a decal sample to the vet. Thank you for your suggestions.
Decal sample?

isla_fullxfull.34560201_qfh3sfh6.jpg

Sorry...couldn't resist. lol