Just a few random pics from the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast
This year was a slow one due to the dry weather but still managed to get a few shots. Here are a few random ones to make it interesting.
Hope you enjoy.

Wolf Spider with young on her back
wolfspider020001.jpg

Black Rat Snake
BlackRatSnake01.jpg

Box Turtle
EasternBoxTurtle01.jpg

Copperhead
NorthernCopperhead01.jpg

Tiger Beetle
TigerBeetle01.jpg

Wood Frog
WoodFrog02.jpg

Black Widow
BlackWidow02-1.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really cute pictures :) I am not too crazy about the spiders but they are cute :). I love the pics of the Box turtle, it looks like she/he is saying ''hello :D''. You are a very good photographer!
Thank you for sharing!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just love those mama wolf spiders! If you disturb the babies they all scatter, but when the coast is clear they all make their way back to mama. Its amazing.

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Always pleasant to see nature in a quiet moment.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I absolutely hate spiders, but that wolf spider picture is amazing. I never knew they did that with their young. Very cool. Thanks =]

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Wow, you're an amazing photographer! What kind of camera are you using?

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Thanks for the kind comments folks!
The camera is a Canon 30D. Old and outdated but does the job fairly well.
As you can see I'll photograph just about anything that crosses my path. Except roaches, they scare me to death LOL!
All animals are left unharmed (even the Widow) since the pics are taken in their environment.
Feel free to add your own field photos if you wish.

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Those are some great field pics. Do you have any tortoise or gila field pics?
Scott

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your pictures are not only beautiful, but educational as well. I could look at them all day.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Terryo, I swear I am not stalking you here, but I think this is the third post in a row that has come in just behind you! Obviously you are tasteful and discerning in your choice of threads to read!;)

Those photos look like National Geographic! How far away from that copperhead were you? You are either very brave, or your "old" Canon takes great close-ups from a distance!!:p

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Thanks again for the input. I'm glad ya'll enjoyed looking at them as much I enjoyed sharing them.

Scott,
No Gila or tortoise photos since they don't occur naturally here in Va.
I did however post some of my Burmese Star photos in the Star section. Look under the thread labeled "who has Burmese Stars" or something close to that.

Stephanie,
I truly appreciate your kind comments!
I was using a macro lens on the Copperhead shot so while it appears very close I was actually about 3 feet away. The Wolf Spider on the other hand was taken within inches and she wasn't happy. She kept advancing and I had to shimmy backwards on my stomach and elbows to get away from her. Not really dangerous but their bite is painful, which I can embarrassingly enough, attest to LOL.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Stephanie Logan said:
Terryo, I swear I am not stalking you here, but I think this is the third post in a row that has come in just behind you! Obviously you are tasteful and discerning in your choice of threads to read!;)

Those photos look like National Geographic! How far away from that copperhead were you? You are either very brave, or your "old" Canon takes great close-ups from a distance!!:p

Maybe we just come on here at the same time...:D You can stalk me any time....you always seem to say ...beautifully I might add....exactly what I want to say, but just can't word it as nice as you do.

I can't believe that you were laying on the ground with that wolf spider. Keep those pictures coming. My grandson is making that one his desk top background. He went crazy over it.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Terryo,
Glad the grandson liked the photo. I hope that young lad gets plenty of chances to get out and experience nature.

Here's a few more but I don't want to overdue itlest I wear out my welcome.
Garter Snake
GarterSnake04.jpg

Spring Peeper
SpringPeeper01-1.jpg

Gray Treefrog (Love the way they surpise you with that flash of color. Its hidden until their leg is extended)
GrayTreeFrog02.jpg

Two Lined Salamander
SouthernTwoLinedSalamander02-1.jpg

Surpise! Look closely!
PeekABoo.jpg

Fence Lizard male showing breeding colors
EasternFenceLizard03-1.jpg

I wish I could post them larger so you could see the full detail but hope ya'll enjoy them.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Are you kidding???? Wear out your welcome??? These pictures are unbelievable. Stephanie is right...they belong is National G. Are you a pro. photographer? If not, you missed your calling...really.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Terry,
Not a professional. Just a fella' who loves to crawl around on his hands and knees in the dirt LOL!
I do appreciate the comments though. Most of my friends don't really see the beauty in creepy crawlie creatures so its kinda lost on them.

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Did you post any pics on field herp forum?
Any Clemmys pics?

Scott

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I admit the spider pictures give me the shivers!

Your photos are a spectacle of natural wonders that occur right "under our feet", as it were. So much variety right there in Virginia---I never would have guessed, but you bring it all beautifully to life.:D

Very cool, indeed.

speck86

5 Year Member
wow i agree pictures look professional! really nice, what camera are you using?

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Speck, The camera is a Canon 30D and my lenses are all midrange Canon models.

I've got thousands spanning over almost 20 years of beating the bushes and fields and its nice to browse through them on a cold Winters' day. I can visualize the surroundings where each was taken and it helps to relieve cabin fever lol.
I'd like to encourage any nature lover to get out and have a look around. All you need is a point and shoot camera and a pretty day. Very relaxing and helps to learn a bit more about the animals we love so dearly.

a few more of my favorites. Not necessarily the best ones but have sentimental value.
Black Racer (not to be confused with Black Rat Snake)
BlackRacer01-1.jpg

Five Lined Skink male showing breeing colors
FiveLinedSkink01.jpg

Northern Red Salamander peeking out of its burrow
NorthernRedSalamander-1.jpg

Black Rat Snake striking a pose
BlackRatSnake03-1.jpg

Laying on my back after a long day afield
Moon4-12-09-1.jpg

Hatchling Snapping Turtle camouflaged (a bit out of focus but a neat shot I thought)
CommonSnappingTurtleHatchling02.jpg

Snail on his way to a shadier place
Snail02-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Holy Cow! That moon picture is (pun intended) outta' this world! You can almost see the fleas on the moon man's nose!

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
WOW. what they all said. I thought at first you must have made a trip to reptile gardens in Rapid City! you "run into them".....wow. Where do you live? My fav also is the wolf spider and babylets. Patricia MN and on a (non digital) Canon! wonderful

Status
Not open for further replies.