Just a checkup :)

Zeekst

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello ! I’m new to having a tortoise. This is Scooter (african sulcata), he’s 5 months old and we have another tortoise Layla coming here soon ! She is a hermann tortoise that’s way bigger than Scooter and of course we will keep them separate lol. But anyways, I’m here to just do a little check up on my little guy here to make sure he’s fine. Thank you !
(the white stuff on his plastron is calcium
powder lol)
IMG_6969.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6963.jpeg
    IMG_6963.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6961.jpeg
    IMG_6961.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks good. To keep him that way, he needs a closed chamber until he reaches 10-12 inches straight plastron (bottom shell) measured head to tail.
Please read our caresheet and closed chamber threads.
Any info you got outside this forum is likely wrong or outdated.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He's cute, but do not house the 2 together, they have different diseases and bacteria that can be fatal to the other tort...

Zeekst

California
He's cute, but do not house the 2 together, they have different diseases and bacteria that can be fatal to the other tort...
when you say house do you mean to not keep them in the same home or the same enclosure ?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
No the same Enclosure

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Ohhh ok, i get you now. We’re getting a separate enclosure for layla anyways. thank you !
Better to ask than not, and learn the hard way. Ask all the questions you want. Cute tortoise. There is a care sheet you should read for sulcata tortoises so you will be ready.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome. They are cute but it will grow to be big and strong. Your aiming for slow smooth growth with correct heat, light, substrate, calcium, diet , humidity, hydration and enclosure etc.. this can be achieved.

Search sulcata on here for info and read this care sheet to check and ask questions