Jumbo Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
One of my female redfoots finally nested yesterday after two days of getting her digging interrupted by rain. She decided on digging under a small key lime tree...

DSC05261.jpg

When I went out last night to check her nest I was expecting her usual number of eggs which is 5 to as many as 10.
Instead I find only this one gigantic egg...

DSC05265.jpg

I have seen some big eggs before but this one measures 5.75 X 4.55 cm. Now that is one jumbo egg. I wish I had a scale on which to weigh it.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
NICE!
I don't think I have seen Redfoot eggs that size ether!
& I have seen some large eggs!
I'm very curious as to how this does.

tortguy521

5 Year Member
Can red foots have twins maybe there are a set of twins in that egg and thats why its so big.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That one is going to hatch as a full sized cherryhead adult! All I can say is WOW!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I saw the picture, I was thinking along the same lines as TortGuy521. Maybe instead of laying 5 eggs, she decided to combine all of them into one big egg and save herself the trouble! It will be interesting to follow the egg's progress. Good luck with it.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Congratulations and that poor Redfoot think of how she feels this morning after laying that big egg. :( Do you get a lot of hatchlings in the spring Carl or summer or when because I want one. :D No joking. :)

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
Ebenhack's Redfoots and Yellowfoots book Tom sent me his extra of, has a photo of twins hatching out-no further note tho as to egg size, or status of hatchlings

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Carl,
What's your experience to incubate odd size egg? I had few odd size redfoot eggs that had never hatched.

Scott

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
pyxistort said:
What's your experience to incubate odd size egg? I had few odd size redfoot eggs that had never hatched.

Scott

Scott, I had a double egg that was laid in the early 80s that looked like a giant peanut. It produced two perfect hatchlings of normal size. There was a photo of it in one of **** Paull's editions of his redfoot book.
But other oversized eggs in the past have not hatched for me either.

S

stells

Wow thats a biggie... good luck with it... would be great to see a hatchling emerge from it...

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you, Carl!!
I have a peanut shape egg last year, too. However, it did not develop. The same female laid some eggs last night, so I hope she has some regular eggs this time.
Scott

cdmay said:
Scott, I had a double egg that was laid in the early 80s that looked like a giant peanut. It produced two perfect hatchlings of normal size. There was a photo of it in one of **** Paull's editions of his redfoot book.
But other oversized eggs in the past have not hatched for me either.

Status
Not open for further replies.