java moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
hey! was wanting to throw some java moss into my redfoot's enclosure to spruce it up a bit...Is that safe?

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Actually, you can get java moss to adapt to terrestrial conditions, but it does need to be kept quite moist. In addition to tortoises and turtles, my sons and I also raise dart frogs. We grow java moss in our fish tanks and then transfer a ball of it to our frog tanks. We get it to grow on the ground as well as cork bark and even on the coconut frog huts we use. I will try to get some pics to show what I mean. It can be done quite easily. Just takes a little patience. Spread the moss out over your substrate and keep spraying it. Good lighting is also important. It will evenutally take off and start spreading. I never thought of trying it with my tortoises or turtles, but it might be good for hatchling tanks as it will hold the mositure in. Might give it at try myself. Thanks for the idea.:)

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
I figured since my redfoot's tank is so moist I could turn it into a planted viv. so we'll see what happens :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I tried to use it emersed and it simply did not work. I too have amphibians, and I could never get it to take hold. It always wanted to go grey on me.

Kristina

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
I've seen it done dozens of times. Maybe your humidity is too low? It needs to be 100% for the moss to grow.

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Terry,
Yep, that is the stuff. Here are a few pics of it growing in some of our dart frog tubs.

Attachments

• IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 39

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
tortoiseguy65 said:
Terry,
Yep, that is the stuff. Here are a few pics of it growing in some of our dart frog tubs.

philodendrons (eaten in quantity) are poisonous. do yours ignore them?

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
I've seen this done in Dart frog enclosures before, I was just thinking it could be applied to a redfoot enclosure to some extent. Sort of an experiment I guess :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Great pictures, Jeff. I tried a really wet substrate for my Redfoot, and he got a little shell rot, so now I keep the substrate dry and the plants in the enclosure wet. Always thinking of different ways to set up his enclosure. Thank you for the pictures.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Might the RF's eat the moss,and is it safe?

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
That's actually what i was wondering at the beginning of the thread haha

Status
Not open for further replies.