Itty bitty

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
While our 20 pound sulcata is on the lamb we still have our hearts open for others in need of fostering and rehab. Luck would have it we acquired this little guy ImageUploadedByTortForum1386289344.266927.jpg just days ago. We are giving him antibiotics every 3 days (injected), vitamin A drops twice daily in each eye (they're sealed shut!), soaks multiple times a day and keeping him humid and warm. It's been 5 days and he still hasn't eaten though. Can anyone help with the feeding issue? I'm using crushed up meal worms and a bit of mushed critical care in a syringe and through a catheter but can't get him to open his little mouth. Other than that his eyes show great improvement, he burrows and stands strong etc can't wait to rehab him already!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you find out how your big sully got out? If you haven't, I would suggest you don't take on any more large tortoises until you do.
That little boxie is so tiny. Did they happen to have a coil type bulb on him? Just wondering if that's the possible eye problem.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Audrey:

That's a pretty tiny baby. I've had very good luck getting baby box turtles' eyes open by using the Gerber baby food soaking method. I use strained carrots, a small container with tall sides and mixed about half and half in water. Leave the baby soaking in this mixture for at least a half hour. You should see a definite improvement in the eyes by the 3rd day. Once the eyes are open, you can tempt him to eat by offering something that wiggles. Small earth worms are a good choice, or the black worms you buy to feed aquarium fish.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
wellington said:
Did you find out how your big sully got out? If you haven't, I would suggest you don't take on any more large tortoises until you do.
That little boxie is so tiny. Did they happen to have a coil type bulb on him? Just wondering if that's the possible eye problem.

I'm so not taking on any big guys ever again at this rate. I feel horrible! I am not 100% sure that he fit under the only lifted part of our fence. The ground is damp these last 2 days due to heavy fog and high humidity, the grass and soil around this spot wasn't moved like he pulled himself under it. I don't know though. I just imagined that there would be some sort of digging marks or marks from his feet pulling and pushing himself under it. There is also the slim chance that he was stolen. I don't even want to think about that.
This little guy was brought in to the vet hospital from a good samaritan, they said they found him outside but didn't leave much more info than that. He weighed at 6 grams yesterday.

Yvonne G said:
Hi Audrey:

That's a pretty tiny baby. I've had very good luck getting baby box turtles' eyes open by using the Gerber baby food soaking method. I use strained carrots, a small container with tall sides and mixed about half and half in water. Leave the baby soaking in this mixture for at least a half hour. You should see a definite improvement in the eyes by the 3rd day. Once the eyes are open, you can tempt him to eat by offering something that wiggles. Small earth worms are a good choice, or the black worms you buy to feed aquarium fish.

I was thinking about a baby food soak for him! I'm glad you mentioned it. I have been using a constant stream of warm water pooled in my hand to soak him since he's so tiny and the water gets cold so fast on the poor guy. I will start using a dish and baby food tomorrow!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I would think,there would be obvious clawing marks or something, but I don't really know. I too, hope he was not stolen. Have you checked under all bushes and made sure he didn't dig himself a burrow? Fingers till crossed for his return.
Also, good luck with this little one.

CapturedSerpant

5 Year Member
They usually won't eat if their eyes are shut, best thing for you to do is give it a warm water soak every day and chicken/carrot baby food soak. If it lasts much longer I would take it to the vet.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would place a sick box turtle in warm water 24/7 .

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
CapturedSerpant said:
They usually won't eat if their eyes are shut, best thing for you to do is give it a warm water soak every day and chicken/carrot baby food soak. If it lasts much longer I would take it to the vet.

Oh, good to know. I hadn't thought of chicken baby food too. Luckily my partner is a vet, she's small animal though so we've been using her and our herp. vet associate combined to get this little guy going. Neither thought he'd make it through the night but I've been hovering and babying him. I hope he eats soon. I'll get his baby food soaks going right now. Thank you for your help!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Yes! I started baby food soaks and did another injection of antibiotics, his eyes are now opening and he's ready to run. He still hasn't taken food on his own but is so far beyond what anyone thought he'd get to. I'm so proud of him. Can't wait until he starts to eat. At that point we'll bring him to the wildlife sanctuary. ImageUploadedByTortForum1386712800.656777.jpg this was him last night :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1386712728.060436.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1386712728.060436.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 58

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
He is beautiful! I had 5 that wouldn't eat and I started putting thei meal worms in a terra cotta saucer with some fruit and boiled chicken. I caught them eating when I left the room so now I just put the food in at night and they eat in the morning when the lights come on. Good luck with this little guy!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
He's still kicking! We've taking everyone's advice and have been doing the baby food soaks twice a day (45 mins or so each.) I've mixed chicken with carrots and peas with a bit of warm water. Still not eating on his own though. Im afraid of leaving him in anything but the damp moss we have him in under a CHE. I tried seeing if he was ready to be out of such a critical care stage and put him on damp coco, he dried out and his eyes shut again within a short while :( Back in the damp moss he went. He still dries out a bit but not as severe thanks to the soaks.
I brought him to the nature center because I felt like we reached a wall with him not eating still, they just suggested we turn him loose :/ So not able to have peace of mind with that just yet. That is for sure the end goal, but not while he's this critical ya know?
All of the vets at the practice are amazed he's still with us, so we must be doing something right. I couldn't do any of this without you guys! ImageUploadedByTortForum1387776507.404758.jpg baby food face.

Saleama said:
He is beautiful! I had 5 that wouldn't eat and I started putting thei meal worms in a terra cotta saucer with some fruit and boiled chicken. I caught them eating when I left the room so now I just put the food in at night and they eat in the morning when the lights come on. Good luck with this little guy!

I'll give this a try tomorrow! He's still about the size of a quarter. How big were your guys? I'm ready for him to eat already!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
He is so cute. Thanks for keeping us posted . Did you find a way to keep the water warm for the long soaks? You mentioned the water temps dropping fast when soaking so I was curious if you found a way to keep the water warm for the 45 minute soaks. Keep up the good work and updates :)

WilliamB

I have had good luck using very ripe (borderline rotten) mango with babies who do not want to eat. The smell seems to be very temting and often trigger them to eat. Mush the mango up a little before you use it. If they do not respond you can try to smear a little on their mouth.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
TortsNTurtles said:
He is so cute. Thanks for keeping us posted . Did you find a way to keep the water warm for the long soaks? You mentioned the water temps dropping fast when soaking so I was curious if you found a way to keep the water warm for the 45 minute soaks. Keep up the good work and updates :)

I finally got a CRE hung at the right level above him to keep him comfy while soaking. I've noticed that his skin gets buildup or something on it after soaking. Almost like he's waterlogged in some parts. Does that make sense? She he goes longer between soaks his skin looks great/normal but his eyes seal shut again, when I soak his eyes get opened yet his skin turns to poo. Frustrated. I don't know if he's pulling through or at a stand still at this point. He is feisty and wants to thrive that's for sure. Just some signs that are red flags like the skin issue. He also has a couple un-developed toes on his left foot and is still very soft underneath.
I'll keep you posted!

WilliamB said:
I have had good luck using very ripe (borderline rotten) mango with babies who do not want to eat. The smell seems to be very temting and often trigger them to eat. Mush the mango up a little before you use it. If they do not respond you can try to smear a little on their mouth.

Perfect! I will try this tomorrow. I've been giving him all the privacy in the world to eat...thus far nothin. I hope this does the trick! Now to age a mango :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Masin said:
He's still kicking! We've taking everyone's advice and have been doing the baby food soaks twice a day (45 mins or so each.) I've mixed chicken with carrots and peas with a bit of warm water. Still not eating on his own though. Im afraid of leaving him in anything but the damp moss we have him in under a CHE. I tried seeing if he was ready to be out of such a critical care stage and put him on damp coco, he dried out and his eyes shut again within a short while :( Back in the damp moss he went. He still dries out a bit but not as severe thanks to the soaks.
I brought him to the nature center because I felt like we reached a wall with him not eating still, they just suggested we turn him loose :/ So not able to have peace of mind with that just yet. That is for sure the end goal, but not while he's this critical ya know?
All of the vets at the practice are amazed he's still with us, so we must be doing something right. I couldn't do any of this without you guys! baby food face.

Saleama said:

I'll give this a try tomorrow! He's still about the size of a quarter. How big were your guys? I'm ready for him to eat already!

My little ones are about the same size as yours is. They weight from 5 to 8 grams. They will eat, they are just really shy. I have to put their food down first and then I put them in the tank with the food already there and I hurry up and move away. Some will run and hide as soon as I put them down and others will start to eat. If you leave really small earth worms and meal worms in the house with them, they will hunt them down. Talk to diamondbp, he has a whole bunch of boxies and gives pretty sound advice. He has an unusual method of raising babies that he swears by.

Are you letting him have cool down time? Boxies do not need the high temps like tortoises and they need their cool down time. Mine get no heat at night and are subjected to whatever the temps are in the house, usually between 67 and 74. They also have extreme temp differences in their habitat. Around 85 - 90 under the light to 74 - 78 on the cool side which they prefer without exception. Their food is kept under the warm side. I place it down while they are in the tub and then leave it there all night. Some eat right away and others prefer to sneak in at night or early morning to eat

TortsNTurtles said:

I place mine in a large tupper ware dish with a rock or saucer in it. I then place this entire rig in a sink filled with hot water. The water in the sink keeps the water in the dish nice and warm for about half an hour. I drain the sink and refill it to keep it warm longer if they look like they are having fun. Another thing I do is put very shallow water in a small tote with some cover, like lettuce leaves or oak leaves from the yard and I put their heat lamp on the deep side to keep it warm.

WilliamB

TortsNTurtles said:
Perfect! I will try this tomorrow. I've been giving him all the privacy in the world to eat...thus far nothin. I hope this does the trick! Now to age a mango Smile

Let me know how it works out for you. Hopefully it will help but you really never know.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Little George is STILL with us! He has even started eating on his own just last week or so! Amazing. His eyes still don't stay open on their own though. They dry up and close really quickly so I am hesitant to release him.