It's too late at night to think if a witty title

Status
Not open for further replies.

droogievesch

5 Year Member
Hello all,

I have many years under my belt as a reptile owner, but haven't owned one for the past three. I started getting the cold-blooded fever, and was looking into getting back into snakes. But, I guess when you're in a relationship the other person's feelings are important. He loves turtles, me...not so much. He compromised on a tortoise though. We've spent the past month going back and forth on the type (I wanted a Hermann's and he wants a sulcata), but I think we're leaning towards the sulcata.

So fast forward past all the youtube videos of hatchling tortoises eating strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, etc. Keep on going past the videos of tortoises coming when being called, but feel free to linger on the videos of tortoises attacking cats/dogs (because those are downright funny) and eventually you'll end up where I am now: here.

I thought I had everything down, but it looks like there are more options than I realized. I plan on doing a lot of reading, maybe even reviving some old threads. No tortoise has been acquired yet, but we're hoping to have the enclosure built and planted within a month or two.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
You live in an apartment right? Don't get a sulcata until you have the room, future plans are great but they can often get disrupted. Greeks, hermanns, and russians are the most commercially available smaller species. Pancakes also stay small, but they are expensive, 3 or 4 hundred and more sometimes. (200 hundred budget if I remember correctly). You can also consider box turtles a great species to have. the others tend to get to big for apartment dwellers (red foots, leopards, sulcatas)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I liked your title too! Hi! Nice to meet you. Looks like David has some knowledge from apparently another thread that the rest of us don't. :D What appeals about the two tortoises to you?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Droogievetch.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Welcome. I can tell you from personal experience that box turtles are awesome. If you don't have the room for a sulcata the box turtles are full of personality and are hilarious to watch plus they never get all that big.

droogievesch

5 Year Member
lovelyrosepetal said:
Welcome. I can tell you from personal experience that box turtles are awesome. If you don't have the room for a sulcata the box turtles are full of personality and are hilarious to watch plus they never get all that big.

I think we're going with a Hermann's. Box turtles are so pretty though, that I have been tempted! I did just get all the seed and stuff for a Hermann's and have been putting a lot of focus on their correct care.

I have realized we need to buy a farmette/hobby farm. We have a list of animals we want that aren't suitable for city living (chickens, sheep, alpaca, sulcata, plus an inside gecko room).

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I'd like to thank you for contributing to me procrastinating on packing. I leave in an hour and here I am going to go on youtube and look at sulcata maulings!

Status
Not open for further replies.