Its me!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clawhammer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Western NY- USA
Hello all,
I just wanted to say hi. I've been lurkin around for a few days here since I joined. My name is Ryan live in wstern New york nearest city is Buffalo NY.

I really apprieciate your knowledge and the noobs questions as well. Great forum.

I plan to grow my knowledge of torts and start a program of my own. Always been interested in torts and I'm now 36 yrs old and established enough to be more interested.

I do have a question: when someone says there heard is 1.3 or 3.7 or whateverer what does that refer to.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! The 1.3 would be one male and three females. So a 3.7 is three males and seven females. It's males, then females, then unsexed. Some folks will even have a fourth number, that is how many eggs they have incubating. Do you have an idea as to which species you might be interested in?

Clawhammer

5 Year Member
Western NY- USA
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! The 1.3 would be one male and three females. So a 3.7 is three males and seven females. It's males, then females, then unsexed. Some folks will even have a fourth number, that is how many eggs they have incubating. Do you have an idea as to which species you might be interested in?

I do! I like Aldabras. Not 100% yet but I'm leaning hard that way. All have such cool needs and characteristics though. I live northeastern USA so my setup needs to be first. Once I'm clear on type ill have straight questions regarding needs. Ty for question answer had no idea there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ryan and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Aldabras in NY? That will be awesome. Can't wait to see your temp controlled giant tortoise warehouse.

Clawhammer

5 Year Member
Western NY- USA
Thank's All for the worm welcome.. This forim is awesome..
I downloaded the app on my phone. It seems a tad harder to use than site but ill get it rollin I just need to use it and figure it out.

Anyone have sugestions for books or other study mterials I should read or seek.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Clawhammer said:
Thank's All for the worm welcome.. This forim is awesome..
I downloaded the app on my phone. It seems a tad harder to use than site but ill get it rollin I just need to use it and figure it out.

Anyone have sugestions for books or other study mterials I should read or seek.

Welcome to the Forum!

Not many books out there that are useful. Raising Tortoises as pets is kinda new and we are all learning. The 1st thing you will learn is that unless it was published less than a year or two ago, it's probably out dated, and even a lot of the new stuff is not really accurate.

The Tortoise Forum has a variety of different Keepers and Breeders who are all striving to learn more and teach others about the best ways to care for these beautiful creatures.

BTW, you do know that Tom was serious about that whole "Warehouse" comment, don't you? ;)

Clawhammer

5 Year Member
Western NY- USA
Zamric,
I do realize & I'm excited !!!
I have a ton of planning to go but I have phases basically laid out.
1- Building 80x150 /greenhouse style ammennded for tort life. Temp/ humid control plenty of natural sun
2- Secure outdoor acerage with border and plantings
3- Building 2 -bathing/soaking/vet facilities
4- Buy Torts

Our local zoo has a tort setup and I've visited a few times.
I like alot of what they have going on but fortunatly for my program I wouldnt be conserving space.
That is true no matter what tort breed I decide to move foward with.

Clawhammer said:
Zamric,
1- Building 80x150 /greenhouse style ammennded for tort life. Temp/ humid control plenty of natural sun
4- Buy Torts

I like alot of what they have going on but fortunatly for my program I wouldnt be conserving space.

Needs phase 1- layout of inner rooms. I have ideas but not committed to any one layout just yet.
- flooring in indoor pen area
- plantings is pen
- ventalation and pen cleanout ideas.
- pond inside or no pond
- rain feature yes or no. If yes how to keep up grounds.
- hides what style ie: dog house wood style, rocks and dirt or other types
- system for clean out hides.
- one breed herd or colony. If colony what separate needs must be met. What needs are cohesive?

My program success is going to be based on phase 1.

Already decided:
- hatchery ... I have and humanely raise many livestock animals and my hatchery / nursery accommodations are fine. Incubator/ pens /brooders/ lighting /heat and a tub or cleaning station. Done and workin now

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Clawhammer said:
Zamric,
4- Buy Torts

Clawhammer said:
Zamric,
4- Buy Torts

Needs phase 1- layout of inner rooms. I have ideas but not committed to any one layout just yet.
- flooring in indoor pen area
- plantings is pen
- ventalation and pen cleanout ideas.
- pond inside or no pond
- rain feature yes or no. If yes how to keep up grounds.
- hides what style ie: dog house wood style, rocks and dirt or other types
- system for clean out hides.
- one breed herd or colony. If colony what separate needs must be met. What needs are cohesive?

My program success is going to be based on phase 1.

Already decided:
- hatchery ... I have and humanely raise many livestock animals and my hatchery / nursery accommodations are fine. Incubator/ pens /brooders/ lighting /heat and a tub or cleaning station. Done and workin now

Excellent!now I'm excited... I do love a good Build!:p

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hi and welcome. Looks like to get already many things planned. Good luck with your future aldabra project.

I might be wrong but I think we get another member with well raised aldabras in NY city :)

Status
Not open for further replies.