It's Grocery Store Time

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Both me and Nank's least favorite time of year, the time when all the weeds are dying/molding outside and I have to start buying foods. I got him spring mix the other day since I knew it had variety for the meantime. But is there somewhere that tells me what grocery store greens are good and what are good for sometimes and all that. All the sites and searching I've always done gave me that list hidden in weeds which doesn't help here where theres no weeds available in the colder months.
I have an adult Russian Tort.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Both me and Nank's least favorite time of year, the time when all the weeds are dying/molding outside and I have to start buying foods. I got him spring mix the other day since I knew it had variety for the meantime. But is there somewhere that tells me what grocery store greens are good and what are good for sometimes and all that. All the sites and searching I've always done gave me that list hidden in weeds which doesn't help here where theres no weeds available in the colder months.
I have an adult Russian Tort.

Besides Spring mix I use -
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Arugula
  • Collard Greens
  • Mustard Greens
  • Turnip Greens
  • Chicory
  • Spinach - not too often
  • Kale
  • Dandelion Greens
  • Endive * Good one
  • Radicchio
  • Escarole * Good one
I also grow this seed mix in pots inside-
Broadleaf mix
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=276

I also use this once or twice a week to dust food with - http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58&products_id=261

& this 2- 3 times a week-
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=275

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Besides Spring mix I use -
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Arugula
  • Collard Greens
  • Mustard Greens
  • Turnip Greens
  • Chicory
  • Spinach - not too often
  • Kale
  • Dandelion Greens
  • Endive * Good one
  • Radicchio
  • Escarole * Good one
I also grow this seed mix in pots inside-
Broadleaf mix
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=276

I also use this once or twice a week to dust food with - http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58&products_id=261

& this 2- 3 times a week-
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=275
Thank you! I pretty much plan to print out good greens and keep the list with me for when I go shopping.
All the winters I've don'e I've gone with dandelions, romaine, kale (for me too lol) collards, and a few mustards, but I knew there were other ones that were just as good and some better. I'm sure he'll appreciate some good variety.

The TNT, I actually just heard about it for the first time earlier today, so now that's confirmed I'll definitely get that for winters.
Would Mazuri and grassland tort food be like that herbal mix? I have the grassland stuff and plan to get Mazuri for the winter. (By the way my petco's doing something right! I went a little while ago and they had Mazuri for the first time ever! )

And I was thinking about the broadleaf mix but I have saved clover and dandelion seeds i'll be trying to plant in pots this winter since those were free from my yard ;) When I create his outdoor enclosure i'll be getting the seed bag though.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thank you! I pretty much plan to print out good greens and keep the list with me for when I go shopping.
All the winters I've don'e I've gone with dandelions, romaine, kale (for me too lol) collards, and a few mustards, but I knew there were other ones that were just as good and some better. I'm sure he'll appreciate some good variety.

The TNT, I actually just heard about it for the first time earlier today, so now that's confirmed I'll definitely get that for winters.
Would Mazuri and grassland tort food be like that herbal mix? I have the grassland stuff and plan to get Mazuri for the winter. (By the way my petco's doing something right! I went a little while ago and they had Mazuri for the first time ever! )

And I was thinking about the broadleaf mix but I have saved clover and dandelion seeds i'll be trying to plant in pots this winter since those were free from my yard ;) When I create his outdoor enclosure i'll be getting the seed bag though.

I use Mazuri about twice a week to round out my diet too. The herbal hay will have items in it that Mazuri will not so its adding additional variety :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I use Mazuri about twice a week to round out my diet too. The herbal hay will have items in it that Mazuri will not so its adding additional variety :)
Is the herbal hay in pellets kind of like the same concept as Mazuri? Like moisten and spread into leaves? (nank wont eat it alone lol)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I've seen mixed thoughts on Kale and how often it should be fed. I thought on occasion? Am I wrong?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I've seen mixed thoughts on Kale and how often it should be fed. I thought on occasion? Am I wrong?
I'd always thought it was sometimes because of oxilates just like tomatoes, but I had it in the mix too because he can have it (and I usually eat half in yummy kale chips anyways haha)... but i'd also heard collards are sometimes and romaine isn't good and all sorts of mixed opinions, I just mix it up often and the 2 years I've done it he's been fine, but I knew there were more varieties I could use: endive was one I didn't know, radicchio as well and escarole (2 of which are good ones lol oops!)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
For any ladies with husbands that don't always pay attention to what you tell them to get, that list could come in handy. ;) LOL

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I use basically what other things have been suggested. Variety of grocery store greens, TNT powder, and herbal hey. I've never used Mazuri. I also grow the Seed mix is inside.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Is the herbal hay in pellets kind of like the same concept as Mazuri? Like moisten and spread into leaves? (nank wont eat it alone lol)
its more like fine chopped hay tiny pieces you can mix onto your store bought food. Not pellet form.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I hope you don't mind, but I made up a cute little list (from what you posted) and thought I'd share. ;)
LOL! there are more options too, this is just what I know I can get at my grocery stores. Some others can get squash blossoms & prickly pear cactus pads but I cant find them in my area :(

Tyanna

Wisconsin
LOL! there are more options too, this is just what I know I can get at my grocery stores. Some others can get squash blossoms & prickly pear cactus pads but I cant find them in my area :(

Nope, I can't find any of the "less common" stuff just like you! Not even dandelion greens! I've seen most of the stuff you've posted, I just never remember and am scrambling try to find posts with them on there. So this list will come in handy often. ;)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Squash blossoms!!?? well i'm jealous of them!! I can get prickly pear though... anyone know if that's yummy to people? I mean I know it "is" but do any of you like it? guess i'll try a bite when I get one for Nank. haha I "share" his food all the time

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I can get cactus pads at my store anytime. They say that they get prickly pears in once in a while, but never when I go.i've never seen squash blossoms in the store myself.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I forgot to mention, my local Walmart carries a bag salad mix of southern greens, collard, turnip and something else I can't remember right now. It is a large yellow bag. My tortoise eats everything but the collard, somehow she picks around that the little bugger :) But Walmart is a national store so maybe other Walmarts have it.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Nope, I can't find any of the "less common" stuff just like you! Not even dandelion greens! I've seen most of the stuff you've posted, I just never remember and am scrambling try to find posts with them on there. So this list will come in handy often. ;)
I giggled when I read this. I have to go to like 5 different stores to get the majority of the items on your cute list and I am always forgetting what I'm after and I'm scrolling through threads in front of the fresh produce, cursing under my breath cause my phone is being slow and I'm holding up all the other people. I finally started taking screen shots and writing in a little notebook I carry in my purse the stuff I think might come in handy. I forget things very quickly and I'm always scrambling for what info I need, I'm just glad to see I'm not the only tortoise owner holding the produce line up. Lol.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I giggled when I read this. I have to go to like 5 different stores to get the majority of the items on your cute list and I am always forgetting what I'm after and I'm scrolling through threads in front of the fresh produce, cursing under my breath cause my phone is being slow and I'm holding up all the other people. I finally started taking screen shots and writing in a little notebook I carry in my purse the stuff I think might come in handy. I forget things very quickly and I'm always scrambling for what info I need, I'm just glad to see I'm not the only tortoise owner holding the produce line up. Lol.

Exactly why I made this list! Now I just get crazy looks with a tortoise food list, oh well! :p ;)

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Lol you made that list so cute. I took a screen shot so I would have it on hand. I'm it crafty like that so thank you.