It's been a while...but I still have Levi the Leopard!!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Hey everyone,
It's been a minute since I was active on this forum. I have continued to refer folks to this page though ;)

Levi my leopard tortoise is now 10 years old. He's a big brute who must destroy everything in his path! Seriously...he's the most territorial, outgoing leopard tortoise I've ever encountered and has shattered many of my friend's misconceptions that turtles are slow.

Just a quick recap: I raised him in SoCal, following @Tom 's advice for heat/humidity indoors. When Levi was 2 we moved to Southern Oregon and have been here ever since. He has full reign of the backyard and sleeps locked up in his heated, insulated tortoise house built from Tom's outdoor housing plans. Over the last 5 years he's been an animal ambassador in my educational program and brought joy to many kids during school assemblies and birthday parties.

Unfortunately, I fell very I'll in October and came very close to passing away. As I got worse, we had to make the decision to close the business and rehome the majority of our show animals. It was rough. I had lifesaving surgery in February and have been on a road to recovery ever since. One of the critters I could not give up, was Levi. He's a bully...but I love him.

So, here I am, alive (woo hoo!) and with a lot more time on my hands now that I'm not caring for a large collection of exotics and traveling all over with them. Still raising my 2 boys (13 & 12yrs old) and getting my ankles bruised anytime I enter "Levi's yard". I also still have our dog and 3 birds.

Hopefully, I'll be on here a bit more now.

Here's an updated photo of what Levi looks like:
20220415_170038.jpg

Here he is eating some greens from a homemade greens holder: (he loves it!!)

20220423_122313.jpg

Here he is, proud of himself for knocking over the fire pit intruder:
20220415_142402.jpg

Here he is trying to get me while I'm in the bird aviary: (I use 2x6's or 2x8's to create tortoise borders at all gates/doorways)20220310_092543.jpg

I take much more video of him than I do photos. Mostly because if he sees me, he's charging me to attack. Really. So I can't get good pics. But I have lots of video of him chasing me, ramming me, pacing to get me, etc. I just can't seem to upload them here. I'll figure it out someday....

Anyways, glad to see some of my fav folks are still around and active! Hopefully I will be again, too.

:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh wow, Heather. I'm so sorry to hear that you were so sick, but it's GREAT to hear that you're on the road to recovery! I'm glad to see you back here, and I hope you stay with us. Your posts and insights are very welcome and were much missed.

Looks to me like Levy is a South African. How much does he weigh?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wondered where you went! So glad you made it and are recovering.

Your boys were so little last time I saw them. I can't believe they are 12 and 13 now. Mine is 15. I think you met her once or twice. Say hi to them and the hubby from me.

Yeah, Levi definitely has some SA genetics. That is exactly how both of my males behave. And he's got that elongated shape too. I don't remember where you got him.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Oh wow, Heather. I'm so sorry to hear that you were so sick, but it's GREAT to hear that you're on the road to recovery! I'm glad to see you back here, and I hope you stay with us. Your posts and insights are very welcome and were much missed.

Looks to me like Levy is a South African. How much does he weigh?
Levi was purchased from a hobby breeder in SoCal as a regular leopard. However, I'm fairly certain he is a babcocki/pardalis hybrid. I need to get a fresh weight on him but he was 35lbs last summer. ...I think it was last summer? I'm a bit off on my timeline since I missed half a year LOL

And thank you for the warm welcome back. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I wondered where you went! So glad you made it and are recovering.

Your boys were so little last time I saw them. I can't believe they are 12 and 13 now. Mine is 15. I think you met her once or twice. Say hi to them and the hubby from me.

Yeah, Levi definitely has some SA genetics. That is exactly how both of my males behave. And he's got that elongated shape too. I don't remember where you got him.
Thank you :)

Yeah, my 13 year old is now as tall as me. It's weird! They grew up fast. & I can just imagine you threatening your teenage daughter's suiters with all kinds of crazy critters LOL

Levi is has enough SA characteristics to lead me to believe he's at least a hybrid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you :)

Yeah, my 13 year old is now as tall as me. It's weird! They grew up fast. & I can just imagine you threatening your teenage daughter's suiters with all kinds of crazy critters LOL

Levi is has enough SA characteristics to lead me to believe he's at least a hybrid.
My daughter does Krav Maga and Jui jistsu 6 days a week. I don't have to worry about what they might do to her. I have to worry about what she will do to them. We've had to have the talk about "with great power comes great responsibility". She has several instructors, all retired combat Marines, who are like her other Dad's. She is a very safe little girl.

I'm really glad to see you posting, and glad to know you and yours are okay.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ok, I must have remembered his weight incorrectly because according to the scale, Levi is just over 25lbs. No way he lost 10lbs in a year. He eats like a pig.
20220717_173542.jpg
20220603_135452.jpg
20220514_085023.jpg

& He's 17.5 ish" long.
20220717_173703.jpg

I really want to figure out how to upload videos. Here you can see Levi plotting his attack on the sprinkler head. He's taken this particular head out multiple times. It's the only one out of 6 that he targets. It's the only one out of 6 that has been replaced and needs protection. So far these boulders are working....sort of...

20220521_164630.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A big welcome back, @Team Gomberg ! I was going to PM you a few days ago.

Glad to "see" you around though at the same time I'm saddened to hear that you were sick. Hope you are now better and that you've totally recovered.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh wow Heather, so sorry you had such a ruff time with your health. So very happy you are recovering. You were missed for sure.
Levi looks fabulous as always. Such a tank. I had a female mix leopard and she looked a lot like Levi. She was my second female and was very out going and only one to escape into areas that wasn't hers lol. The other female looked more like my two males, little to no PP/SA and was not out going at all, although my two males are.
Thanks for the alert to your update and so glad to see you on the forum.
Sorry you had to close your animal business.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello 🤗 I love your pictures of that silly tort 🐢. My favorite is beware of attack tortoise 🐢😁 I just finally figured out how to upload a video but if I try to explain what I gotta do I sound half nuts. The truth is...🤗🙃

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Sorry you had to close your animal business.
Ya, I still have rough moments over this. BUT you can't put animals away in a closet for 7 months then pull them out again when you're ready to use them. So, even though I'm better now and could get back into action now, the truth is I couldn't for so long and it would have been terrible for all the animals to "wait it out". Either way, it is what it is and it's ok. I'll be ok. Many of my animals either went to friends or another educational program. I still get updates on them and see them.

Besides, I still do "critter things".
My dog and I are performing a dance routine at an event in 2 weeks, I work for professional parrot trainers BirdTricks, and hold the VP position in my local bird club. My husband says I hit the ground running once I became well again :)