It Should Never Get This Bad

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Euthanasia would likely be the most humane treatment. A life of pain and mobility trouble is ahead.
I wish this was far less common.
And that's a Leopard tortoise. Someone paid a pretty penny for him/her. Then cared nothing about its husbandry

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Prime example of why research is important before taking these animals in.

i was just coming here to post about this! I thought @HermanniChris did a good job on this video. I am not sure they would have released the video if in they end they didn’t think she could recover (Ie if they knew it would have an upsetting ending). like @ZEROPILOT i would have thought euthanasia as well. It’s often hard to tell if they are in pain, hopefully she is not and can recover to a degree, but I thought they did a good educational job with comparison X-rays, etc. I do agree god forbid she ever develop eggs, though.

here’s the thing tough, I easily 3-4 times per year on Craigslist see tortoises in about this state, being sold as “healthy” And people have no idea it’s not. Hopefully videos like these help people not buy them.

I’ve often mentioned I know someone who has a DT for 12 years, no uvb, heating pad for heat, towels for substrate, mediocre diet, no soaking. It does get outside regularly in warm weather eating a manicured lawn. and assuming he doesn’t die of a stone one day, he’s superficially in decent shape and is active, mobil, likes people, etc. They DO soldier on in pretty poor environments, but man this was a tough one.

(also shout out in the video to my local childhood Zoo: Turtle Back Zoo where apparently she was dumped)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
For many people.
Proper tortoise care isn't as important as what is convenient for the keeper. Many of these people will argue at great length in an attempt to justify what they're doing. Why it's good enough and why your suggestions are rediculous.
It's why I stay off of FACEBOOK and try to direct people here.
I also blame pet stores for selling garbage and for not knowing what they're selling or anything about correct care or what is actually required. The space. The foods. The correct uv source. Anything.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Honestly I was reminded of the scene in the Alien series when Ripley finds the lab where they are trying to make more Aliens, but I DO believe if they thought her in pain they would have euthanized her, and not kept her alive for a YouTube video.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Honestly I was reminded of the scene in the Alien series when Ripley finds the lab where they are trying to make more Aliens, but I DO believe if they thought her in pain they would have euthanized her, and not kept her alive for a YouTube video.
I have lived too long to give people in general the benefit of the doubt.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
This was by far, the worst rescue we’ve ever gotten. I know it was hard to watch, filming it was worse, but the message needs to get out and I’m sure everyone here would agree. The veterinarian in this video is a personal friend of mine and he gives it to me straight. Even off camera he strongly felt we should give her a shot. Overall, it’s just a sickening situation and in all these years of trying to properly educate, these things still occur. Being a rescue is of course rewarding but it is also absolutely devastating. As for the people who did this, I can’t say much beyond what I already stated.

zovick

10 Year Member!
This was by far, the worst rescue we’ve ever gotten. I know it was hard to watch, filming it was worse, but the message needs to get out and I’m sure everyone here would agree. The veterinarian in this video is a personal friend of mine and he gives it to me straight. Even off camera he strongly felt we should give her a shot. Overall, it’s just a sickening situation and in all these years of trying to properly educate, these things still occur. Being a rescue is of course rewarding but it is also absolutely devastating. As for the people who did this, I can’t say much beyond what I already stated.
Good luck with that poor creature, Chris. I wonder if there might be a way to raise the carapace up as it gains more bone. Possibly doing something like placing an inflatable "balloon" inside the coelomic cavity and then inflating it and leaving it in place until the bone hardened, after which it could be removed. I envision something like a feeding tube with a valve of some type could possibly be used to gradually inflate such a device. Maybe your vet friend would be able to figure a way to do something like that.

Just grasping at straws here and trying to think of a way to help that tortoise regain some of its normal morphology.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
For many people.
Proper tortoise care isn't as important as what is convenient for the keeper. Many of these people will argue at great length in an attempt to justify what they're doing. Why it's good enough and why your suggestions are rediculous.
It's why I stay off of FACEBOOK and try to direct people here.
I also blame pet stores for selling garbage and for not knowing what they're selling or anything about correct care or what is actually required. The space. The foods. The correct uv source. Anything.
You say .....
"For many people.
Proper tortoise care isn't as important as what is convenient for the keeper."
This is the point that I tried (poorly) to make about HAY. Convenience takes over and tortoises suffer.

As a rescue you see the worst of the worst and the cases where you can make a difference is what feeds the drive, the drive to make this world have a little less suffering.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Good luck with that poor creature, Chris. I wonder if there might be a way to raise the carapace up as it gains more bone. Possibly doing something like placing an inflatable "balloon" inside the coelomic cavity and then inflating it and leaving it in place until the bone hardened, after which it could be removed. I envision something like a feeding tube with a valve of some type could possibly be used to gradually inflate such a device. Maybe your vet friend would be able to figure a way to do something like that.

Just grasping at straws here and trying to think of a way to help that tortoise regain some of its normal morphology.

I think there was someone that made something that attached to the top of the carapace and provided upward tension to help support the shell as well as try to correct some of the deformity.

-------------

I found where it was talked about previously:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

@HermanniChris, I have faith you will not keep her alive if she is suffering, that is the important thing. I appreciate the work you are doing with rescue.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
I think there was someone that made something that attached to the top of the carapace and provided upward tension to help support the shell as well as try to correct some of the deformity.

-------------

I found where it was talked about previously:

woah like tortoise headgear? I never thought of that!

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
That is so sad. Thank you though for everything that you do for them.