Status
Not open for further replies.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
doctrin13th said:
Nowadays, pictures and created images in the internet are prone to "stealing" especially shared photos in blogs or personal website, that "thieves" use in their own ads, avatars, websites etc.

Not to go off-topic here, but how can I copyright my own pictures if copyright is un-registered? How can it be copyrighted without registration? What proof have I, that they are my own pictures, produced by me? One could claim that they're his/hers.

Without official or legal claims, I think it is really hard to pursue the "thief" or even prevent the stealing, especially at the present days, where most people lack moral values and principles and just being opportunistic to make works easy.

But YES it is stealing! At least, to us rightful owners who know the truth. But we can't do anything about it (if there is no official and registered copyright).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2009/03/26/adding-copyright-to-exif-automatically/

While not perfect, exif data created when the picture is taken can help some.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
99.99% of the time, any photos I take are high-res, and I usually crop them and reduce them in size before they are "internet post ready." Therefore, I can easily provide the originals if need be.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
http://www.tineye.com/

This is also useful in determining how prevalent an image is on the Internet. It can let you know if the pictures someone has posted on their site are just ripped from somewhere else.

philthyturtle

5 Year Member
i would consider it stealing. it is your work your turtles. people react the same way when they are show in pictures without permission so why not with your turtles

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I think you should have been asked AND they should be labled as your torts.

@ Angela~You always have the most reasonable replies. You are a smart lady :)

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Sound stealing for me..

Anyway, just a short question, when someone replying my post (madskin if I'm not wrong), he use a word, "ball park", what does it mean?

Sorry, cause I never heard it before..:)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
evlinLoutries said:
Sound stealing for me..

Anyway, just a short question, when someone replying my post (madskin if I'm not wrong), he use a word, "ball park", what does it mean?

that's an American slang for " within a range" ...or " typical" ...
" close to" ect......

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
N2TORTS said:
evlinLoutries said:
Sound stealing for me..

that's an American slang for " within a range" ...or " typical" ...
" close to" ect......

"you seem to be in the ballpark"

what does it means? cause I still don't get it..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It really doesn't make any sense, that's true! It certainly can't be directly translated.
It means your enclosure or set up is " close to where it needs to be" or "that is in the range of where it should be"
It's a good thing! ;)

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
lynnedit said:
It really doesn't make any sense, that's true! It certainly can't be directly translated.
It means your enclosure or set up is " close to where it needs to be" or "that is in the range of where it should be"
It's a good thing! ;)

yeah, just want to learn it..:D

cause I got a new word from watching serial movies..:D

thanks anyway..:)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Maybe we should start a thread on American slang phrases and what they mean and where they come from.
Ya it would be a bit O/T EnLin why don't you start it with the phrases that confuse you?

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Angi said:
Maybe we should start a thread on American slang phrases and what they mean and where they come from.
Ya it would be a bit O/T EnLin why don't you start it with the phrases that confuse you?

I just did, about the ball park..:D

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I agree with you. They should have asked your permission first. I think it is stealing. They are using your torts to advertise and that is so NOT COOL!

betty123

5 Year Member
jeff im sure this will get deleated but the last page in your tortoisecove.com is ALL from my back yard..the glass door incloser, pond, plumeras MY YARD . I have asked you to remove them ,you havnt so i say KARMA...

porter

10 Year Member!
It's plagiarism, if they have made a reference to the pictures and dated when the accessed them its usually ok,

betty123

5 Year Member
I would say they can use your pictures unless you stated other wise ..you have pictures of my back yard on tortoisecove.com that i have asked you to removed ..yet there still there..KARMA :p

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
This morning (12/14) is the first time I have viewed this thread.
All I can say JD is this...welcome to my world. I have found photos of mine all over the internet (especially Japanese turtle sites) and even more incredibly, in books and magazines. All without my permission or approval.
In the case of the books I contacted the author and he claimed that it was an honest mistake. I had sent him numerous slides over the years and evidently he forgot where they came from (even though my name was on them) and they were submitted to the publishers in good faith. As he has asked for, and received my permission to publish photos of mine before, I am OK with the over site.
But the websites that use photos of mine without my permission are in violation of US copyright laws. Good luck doing anything about it though.
So who is the person using your photos??? Come on man, we want to know!

Neddy

5 Year Member
I would simply be proud that they thought my pictures and tortoises were that great, they wanted them up for the world to see.

I don't think it's stealing, I am sure they meant no malice or to cause you any concern or frustration.

If your that bothered just send them an email saying you would prefer if they don't use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.