Is this okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlin718

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I don't have my tortoise yet, but I'm getting a RFT.

Anyway, the people at the Pet Store gave us a good deal on a 10 gallon tank to use to keep our future tortoise in.

Has anyone else been able to keep an RFT in something like that? Is it too small, even for a baby(that's what I plan on ordering, a young one.)?

This is a pretty bad time to be asking, seeing as it's been at least a month or three since I got it. o_O;

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
From my understanding you want to avoid glass tank style enclosures for tortoises of all kinds.

Most people here use Rubbermaid type storage containers of appropriate size.

Search Red Foot Enclosure/Set up here and see what you get.

The torts do not understand glass...they can see through it but can't get out and they become stressed.
The glass tanks hold the heat too much and do not allow enough air flow.

What type of UVB/UVA lighting do you have?

Caitlin718

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NYC
I'm vacationing in FL, the tank's at home in NY. I'm not sure what type of UVB/UVA lamp I have, I'll tell you when I get back.

If the tortoise doesn't seem stressed by the glass, will it be okay? If it does, could I try and cover the sides?

Pesky Fly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The Moon
Glass is fine, just put a back ground on 3 sides of it. Thats what I did!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep my Cherry Head in a glass vivarium. Three sides are covered and the front is covered up to 7 in. across. I have a screen top on it so there is good air circulation. One side is covered with clear wrapping tape to keep in the humidity. I keep it planted also (not that many plants....Pio ate them all) It is 75 gal. He is outside for the summer, but I bring him in at night. I have a heat emitter on one side (over his hide) and a long tube UVB 10.0 on the other side, filtered by the screen.
scan0003-5.jpg

Caitlin718

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NYC
Thanks guys. =]

The tank is already covered three sides with wood, it's on top of my dresser, and the dresser has three sides coming up on the top, all high enough for tort not to be able to see out. Is that good?

Gah, I'm bad at describing things.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The biggest problem is a ten gallon is so small. There just isn't room for everything your little tort will need and want. Plus no room to have the different heats you will need, no way to really have a hot side and a cool side.

Status
Not open for further replies.