Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I was looking on Amazon.com and I came across this:

Exo Terrra Calcium + D3

Net Weight 15.9oz (450g)

Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, oyster shell flour, dextrose, Vitamin D, Supplement

Guaranteed Analysis--Moisture 12%, Calcium (min) 35%, Calcium (max) 37%,Vitamin D3 14,740IU/lb

EU Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate (35%), ground oyster shells, salt

EU Typical Analysis: Calcium 35%, Vitamin D, 65 mg/kg.

Does this sound like a good calcium + D3 supplement for my soon to be shipped baby sulcatas??

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
yagyujubei said:
You don't need the D3 because you'll have a UVB bulb.

Are you 100% sure b/c I live in upstate NY so I won't be able to bring them outside in the warm sunshine 9 out of 12 months a year? Can you recommend a good bulb for them?

Harmony's Haven

5 Year Member
Bozeman, Montana
I have a bulb from Reptile UV. I tried to put in the link, but I am not very computer saavy. Sorry. It is kind of pricey, but it is supposed to be really good. They provide a lot of information on the website. Check it out. Over in Montana, we have about a 3 month outdoor season as well. Best wishes!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
I went to a meeting a few months ago and Dr. flemming at Disney presented some findings that calcium deteriorates very slowly, the d3 however, and other minerals, will expire, so pay attention to the expiration date on the jar. Personally, I prefer cuttlebone, but have used Repti-cal, Rep-cal, Exo-terra, among many many others. My current favorite for dusting is Repti-Calcium by ZooMed. It has a nice, fine-coating effect (especially good for crickets).

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You don't need to worry about a calcium supplement if you give them cactus at least every other day. Also, offer cuttlebone regularly and you shouldn't have any problem. IMHO. the best UV bulb is the ZooMed Powersun! They are expensive in the stores, but you can usually find a good deal on ebay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been using either RepCal or The ZooMed brand for 20+ years. These are the only two I have experience with and they both get the job done. The amount of D3 that is added to these supplements is relatively low, so I don't think it matters much if you use a supplement with it or with out it. Either way they still need a source of UV whether it be sunshine or a bulb of some sort. There is evidence to suggest that at least some reptiles cannot use dietary D3 anyway. It must be produced in their own skin, with the aid of UV light, for their body to be able to use it. This is debatable and controversial, and I do not know 100% for sure whether they can or cannot use dietary D3, so I just make sure I have all my bases covered either way.

Lastly, beware of any of those coil type florescent bulbs. They can damage tortoise eyes. The tube florescents won't hurt them, but I do not find them to be very effective. Like Dean suggested above, the Mercury Vapor Bulbs are the best man made source of UV, in my opinion.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Tom said:
I have been using either RepCal or The ZooMed brand for 20+ years. These are the only two I have experience with and they both get the job done. The amount of D3 that is added to these supplements is relatively low, so I don't think it matters much if you use a supplement with it or with out it. Either way they still need a source of UV whether it be sunshine or a bulb of some sort. There is evidence to suggest that at least some reptiles cannot use dietary D3 anyway. It must be produced in their own skin, with the aid of UV light, for their body to be able to use it. This is debatable and controversial, and I do not know 100% for sure whether they can or cannot use dietary D3, so I just make sure I have all my bases covered either way.

Lastly, beware of any of those coil type florescent bulbs. They can damage tortoise eyes. The tube florescents won't hurt them, but I do not find them to be very effective. Like Dean suggested above, the Mercury Vapor Bulbs are the best man made source of UV, in my opinion.

Once again I really appreciate everyone's help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.