Is this an unhealthy baby?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
I was at a Repticon a while ago, they had tons of tortoises. However, one of the booths stuck out to me. It had some baby redfoots, and I took a pic of one. They did not look healthy. I have never taken care of redfoots and never have had one, but was wondering. Is this an example of a baby that was raised with very poor humidity or something? Why does it look like this?
IMG_1347.JPG

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I was at a Repticon a while ago, they had tons of tortoises. However, one of the booths stuck out to me. It had some baby redfoots, and I took a pic of one. They did not look healthy. I have never taken care of redfoots and never have had one, but was wondering. Is this an example of a baby that was raised with very poor humidity or something? Why does it look like this?
View attachment 287996
That actually looks like a Yellowfoot.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Wow I really don’t know much!??does it appear unhealthy to you though or that’s how they should be?
He looks a little dry. Young Yellowfoots have a slightly different looking carapace than young Redfoots. That's probably what thru you off. Here's a picture of a Yellowfoot and a Redfoot for comparison.
YellowfootBabyYellowfoot1__15391.1266714336.1280.1280.jpeg
Redfootred-footed-tortoise-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your little guy needs to be taken off those alfalfa pellets and put onto some sort of substrate you can keep moist. I like to use orchid bark, but you can use coco coir or cypress mulch - whichever works best for you and your tortoise. Your baby has "reverse pyramiding" because he's been kept too dry. It should 'plump' up once you've got him set up correctly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oops! Nevermind. I just re read your post and I see it's not your baby, but rather a picture of one you took at Repticon. Same info holds true though. He's being kept too dry.