Is this an abscess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I just noticed this swollen lump on Huey's head, is this an abscess?

Attachments

• resized_IMG_9851.jpg
    resized_IMG_9851.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 113
  • resized_IMG_9860.jpg
    resized_IMG_9860.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 117

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I kind of doubt it. The abscess usually found on turtles and tortoises are in the ear area.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Could be some type of injury though....I would say may warrant a trip to the vet....but how long has it been there that you can recall? Maybe give it a day to see if it grows or deflates some? But I would have it looked at pretty quick if it appears to be growing...you know?

I had our old man Humphry (CDT) arrive here with a crazy lump and the vet said it may have developed as a result of an injury??? So maybe keep track of it and act accordingly....keep is posted ok?:D

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Yea I plan to watch it through the weekend and if it stays the same or grows he'll go in to the vet first appointment I can get.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ripper7777777 said:
Yea I plan to watch it through the weekend and if it stays the same or grows he'll go in to the vet first appointment I can get.

:)

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Huey is still acting normal, swimming around chasing fish and eating pellets and worms. I'll keep monitoring him closely, he'd probably prefer I quit starring at him.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It could very well be an abcess if the turt has had some sort of injury, I would put a syringe init to see if anything came out, but if you do not have the experience take you turt to the vet..

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
It seems to be the same size, been tied up with my son, of all things he caught a staff infection from my oldest daughter who caught it from a kid I said she shouldn't play with and now my wife agrees. Anyways he had a boil and we've dealing with it and we still are dealing with it.

I'm pretty sure I will end up at the vet, I wouldn't want to try and drain it myself the little guy just doesn't hold still. But like I said it appears to be the same size and he is eating like a pig and still swimming and acting normal, DBT's are little pester pots.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Unless he takes a turn for the worse, I wouldn't take him to the vet. He potentially could do more harm than good.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
I haven't been online much, dealing with the kids and this staff infection.

I was looking at some pics, and I think it was there from day one, I just don't think we noticed it, they were really shy and closed up for a while, but now they are out and will swim right into my hand.

Here is the pic from the seller, I checked the shell pattern and that is Huey.

Sp for now we will watch it for any growth. Now back to chasing my son down to give him his medicine again, 3 times a day for ten days seems like forever.

Attachments

• 1276214.jpg
    1276214.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 27

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
I would go to the doc to be safe or ask the breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.