Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Russian Tortoise Boy!

That container is way too small for a full grown female steppe (Russian) tortoise. And you need to do lots of research on how to keep her. I'd start by getting rid of the straw. Steppe tortoises like to dig and bury themselves. If you can't set her up outside, then you need to buy the very largest container you can afford. A 5-shelf used book case with the shelves removed would be a good size...not ideal, but you can get by with that.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
ditto above.. girl, needs MUCH bigger enclosure.. and dirt.. not newspaper...
and DONT get another one until you learn ALL about this one and get a better set up..
Great start!, and great that you found us here. now.. start Reading! :)

She probably needs less handling, and a nice long warm water, shallow.. soaking. she needs some greens to eat.. broadleafed dark greens.. kale, Spring mix..
oh and she needs her beak trimmed..
great deal you got!
where do you live?

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, Russian Tortoise Boy!

That container is way too small for a full grown female steppe (Russian) tortoise. And you need to do lots of research on how to keep her. I'd start by getting rid of the straw. Steppe tortoises like to dig and bury themselves. If you can't set her up outside, then you need to buy the very largest container you can afford. A 5-shelf used book case with the shelves removed would be a good size...not ideal, but you can get by with that.
ok do i need to buy a glass tank or biggest plastic tank

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
so do i need to put sand and place her in a bigger container and laura i live in las vegas nevada. and if im done with all the habitat how much is a male russian tortoise in petco or petsmart and is it healthy

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
russian tortoise boy said:
so do i need to put sand and place her in a bigger container and laura i live in las vegas nevada. and if im done with all the habitat how much is a male russian tortoise in petco or petsmart and is it healthy

Cocoa coir is better then sand, less chance of impaction. Then you'll probably need a second home for the male, Russians are not so much into being social butterflies...
2' by 3' is the bare minimum for small tortoise houses.
Someone with more experience will probably come along and say that fancier then I am capable of :) Good luck!

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
BowandWalter said:
Cocoa coir is better then sand, less chance of impaction. Then you'll probably need a second home for the male, Russians are not so much into being social butterflies...
2' by 3' is the bare minimum for small tortoise houses.
Someone with more experience will probably come along and say that fancier then I am capable of :) Good luck!

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) you have a beautiful female Russian she needs a much biger enclosure I use a large book case just remove the shelves and turn it on its back. I use coco fiber on the inside mine is 4 inches deep they love to dig and burrow. Make sure u have a water dish that she can soak herself in and drink from (not to deep). A nice flat rock or tile would be good to place her food on this will help keep her beak trimed :) You will need tempature gages to make sure one side is hot 80 or 90 (MVB bulb 100 watt) and one side is cool around 70. Place a cuttle bone in the enclosure they like to nibble on it for calcium. Its best not to get her a friend and keep it in the same enclosure Russians tend to fight and bully each other. The white lines are new growth on the shell :) Russians are awesome I have 6 of them. In the winter I have a room dedicated just for them and in the summer they get to spend time outside. This forum is Awesome you can learn a lot here all you have to do is ask there are so many great people who can help you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

In my opinion, neither. Is there a reason you can't set the tortoise up in a large outdoor enclosure?

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
emysemys said:

In my opinion, neither. Is there a reason you can't set the tortoise up in a large outdoor enclosure?
yes, i cant put my russian tortoise outside because in las vegas its 110 degrees outside and my pitbull hates animals or she thinks that tortoise are food

Status
Not open for further replies.