Is this a red foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gecko

5 Year Member
Got 6 adults from an importer. One has no red and eyes are different than the rest. Shell looks the same... I first thought yellow foot but shell is not the right color. Hybred, not redfoot, or just an odd redfoot?
eyes of a normal...
DSCF7024-1.jpg

All black eyes of strange one...
DSCF7026-1.jpg

picture of my strange guy..no red
DSCF7023.jpg

his legs almost every scale yellow..
DSCF7029.jpg

gecko

5 Year Member
Looks like I got shipped one wrong tortoise. The more I look up yellow foots I think you are right. Pics I saw the yellow foots had much lighter shells but now have found pics with dark shells as well.

Now to post my second question....Thanks!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
It's OLD and most likely yellowfoot.. see those 'nose-patterns'? Let's see that plastron. Dark means yellowfoot.

The nose plates reach the tip of the nose on a yellowfoot.. young one -

YELLOWfoot.jpg

NERD

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
THAT is a wonderful looking yellowfoot.

It's better than a Redfoot. That species actually does do better under very moist conditions.

Considering that it is a fresh import and looks quite healthy... treat it for protozoa ASAP. This will dramaticly increase its chances of survival.

Oh... fantastic photos.

Another 'oh'... it's probably a very young adult... not old. The worn shell is the result of habit.

It is classic Yellowfoot... although very nice color.

gecko

5 Year Member
Here is her belly...
DSCF7036.jpg

normal redfoot...
DSCF7037.jpg

Thanks guys for your response. Now I am going to have to get another yellow foot for their pin so she is not the only one. She seems to have no problem being with the redfoots except she thinks she is a mountain climber and loves climbing on top of them..Thanks again

Now to look up how to treat them for protozoa

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Thanks for providing those carapace ("belly") shots (probably one of the best ways to I.D. them). You have a Yellowfoot. If you will notice, the forward most section of the carapace, the Gular shield (the small part under the neck), projects much farther out on a YF and is much narrower, like yours has. Also the anal shield on a YF is much narrower, just like yours has in comparison to the RF you posted. And like Terry said (and pictured), YF's prefrontal scales (on the nose) extends to the tip. And the yellow all over your pretty girl yells Yellowfoot.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Another 'oh'... it's probably a very young adult... not old. The worn shell is the result of habit.

Another 'oh'.. the habit was from waking up everyday for SEVERAL days/years!!! Not that it makes any difference :cool:

NERD

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I don't know what you're trying to say but the point I was making should have been more clear...

The habit is burrowing around in leaf litter and low underbrush... this is what wears down the shell and keeps it smooth.

Redfoot NERD said:

Another 'oh'.. the habit was from waking up everyday for SEVERAL days/years!!! Not that it makes any difference :cool:

NERD

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
beautiful girl even if shes been sent by mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.