Is this a healthy shell?

OpZeroThunder

Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, UK
First time tortoise owner of a two year old Red Foot called Storm.
Noticed today that the underneath of his shell is dry and appears flaky… is this normal or should I be worried about the little guy?
I keep his viv humid and warm and he has a bath in there to keep hydrated.
Please could someone take a look and advise?
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
First time tortoise owner of a two year old Red Foot called Storm.
Noticed today that the underneath of his shell is dry and appears flaky… is this normal or should I be worried about the little guy?
I keep his viv humid and warm and he has a bath in there to keep hydrated.
Please could someone take a look and advise?
Thanks!
The bottom of your tortoise shell where it looks white is a fungal infection. You can clear that up by getting a cheap tube of athletes foot cream and applying it to the area for a few days. It should clear up in about a week.

Rynan

Southern California
The bottom of your tortoise shell where it looks white is a fungal infection. You can clear that up by getting a cheap tube of athletes foot cream and applying it to the area for a few days. It should clear up in about a week.
Where is the fungal infection? Is it the overall whitish look? Just curious and trying to learn.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Where is the fungal infection? Is it the overall whitish look? Just curious and trying to learn.
All of the white you see on the plastron is fungus Screenshot_20220218-185209~3.png

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh that’s not good to hear! How did he get it and how can I prevent it happening again in the future? Hope the little guy will be okay or will he need a trip to the vet?
No Vet trip needed, it's not that big of a deal. It's caused by conditions too wet usually. You want your substrate to be damp, but not super wet. The athletes foot cream will heal it up quickly and it'll be like it never happened.