Is this a good baby enclosure?

Peytons torts

I have a 48 inch Rubbermaid container with coconut fiber substrate and a 100 watt powersun bulb and a uv strip ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419739707.884508.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Humidity level? And what type of tortoise? I ask because that seems to be alot of uv for a forest type tortoise. I don't know what the size is from the gallon measurement. What is the footprint of the tub?
On a side note, that stick-on dial type thermometer towards the top of the tub should be a digital type(more accurate) and at that location is great for reading the temps at the top, but your tortoise spends it's time down low, therefor it should be placed low as well. The digital ones I use, have a wired probe which allows for checking temps in many different locations to better get an idea of what is going on inside. Just some thoughts for you.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Adding to that, your water dish looks treacherous- I'd go with a terra cota saucer. Not sure what species you're dealing with, but most seem happier with more shelter, plants, hides, rocks, etc.
Good luck

Peytons torts

Humidity level? And what type of tortoise? I ask because that seems to be alot of uv for a forest type tortoise. I don't know what the size is from the gallon measurement. What is the footprint of the tub?
On a side note, that stick-on dial type thermometer towards the top of the tub should be a digital type(more accurate) and at that location is great for reading the temps at the top, but your tortoise spends it's time down low, therefor it should be placed low as well. The digital ones I use, have a wired probe which allows for checking temps in many different locations to better get an idea of what is going on inside. Just some thoughts for you.
Adding to that, your water dish looks treacherous- I'd go with a terra cota saucer. Not sure what species you're dealing with, but most seem happier with more shelter, plants, hides, rocks, etc.
Good luck
They are Libyan Greek tortoises

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I like the way you've mounted the light on the side of the tub. Pretty smart. But if I'm remembering correctly, the 100 watt Powersun bulb is also a UVB bulb, so really the strip light isn't necessary, is it?

Get rid of those pre-made waterers and feeders and get a tile for a feeder and a plant saucer for the waterer, add a few plants, either fake or real, and your habitat is ready for your babies.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Gotcha. I've never had Greeks of any persuasion, but this is the setup I use for my marginated. I use a digital thermometer/hygrometer at each end and one in the hide box. I suspect a similar set up would work for you, but probably a different temperature/humidity gradient. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419783858.591607.jpg