is there any good books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cberg45

5 Year Member
hey im new to the forums and also to sulcata torts. im looking on finding a very good book that explains the diets and housing basically all the things that you need to keep a healthy tort. i would prefer to get one on a baby because im starting with a baby and maybe when he gets a lil older i will get a book for older sulcatas. ive read many forum posts aswell as articles online but i think if i read a couple of books i would be in the best shape to get a sulcata. i plan on getting a sulcata in a couple of week or maybe a month lol im so exited. i have been looking around and ive seen some articles say not to keep a water bowl in the cage and some posts say keep a water bowl and even some articles say that you should mist there cage. can i just keep no water bowl in his/her cage and just soak them 3/4 times a week?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi cberg45:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

In my opinion, its best to get your information from forums like this one. Books can't be updated. Once they're printed, the printed word stays the same for the rest of the life of the book. Even if practices change and new ways are found for keeping tortoises healthy, the book still tells you the old way, and maybe the old way is not the correct way anymore.

The only book I know that has good info in it is "The Crying Tortoise." Its very hard to find.

If you get a baby, its very important to keep him moist and humid. Keeping a baby sulcata dry is how you make him grow pyramided. To grow a smooth baby, you keep him moist and hydrated. Keeping waterers in the habitat is a personal choice. I prefer to have water available at all times for my tortoises.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

cberg45

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi cberg45:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

In my opinion, its best to get your information from forums like this one. Books can't be updated. Once they're printed, the printed word stays the same for the rest of the life of the book. Even in practices change and new ways are found for keeping tortoises healthy, the book still tells you the old way, and maybe the old way is not the correct way anymore.

The only book I know that has good info in it is "The Crying Tortoise." Its very hard to find.

If you get a baby, its very important to keep him moist and humid. Keeping a baby sulcata dry is how you make him grow pyramided. To grow a smooth baby, you keep him moist and hydrated. Keeping waterers in the habitat is a personal choice. I prefer to have water available at all times for my tortoises.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?
i live about 45 minutes north of tampa fl in a small town. my phone is broken so i have no way to call lol. now should you mist the whole cage or only under his/her hide cause different places tell you to do different things lol and also since the humidity is high should i keep his/her basking spot 100

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
LOL! I wasn't wanting you to call me, I was wondering what your name is, or shall I just call you cberg45?

Mist the whole habitat...pour a whole pitcherfull of water over the substrate and mix it all up so its evenly moist. When it starts to dry out mist it.

Status
Not open for further replies.