Is the uv light same thing as a uvb

Status
Not open for further replies.

micaelalovesmolly

5 Year Member
I need to get my tortoise a uvb light but cant seem to find it any where.. i can only find the uv light is the uvb light the same as a uv light ????

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The generic term UV is usyually used for UV-A rays, which are cheaper to produce, but do not provide the full range of benefits to reptiles.

You can usually get them on-line, and often for a lot less than in stores.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Yeah, to elaborate....

UVA – this is part of the visible spectrum for reptiles, & because of it, they can see colors & patterns differently than we do. In the wild, it helps them identify individuals of their own species by their UVA-reflective markings as well as better spot certain plants and insects. When exposed to UVA, reptiles have shown increased social behavior & activity, more inclination to bask & feed, as well as breed.
UVB – helps the production of vitamin D3 (vD3) in most reptiles. If I remember correctly, UVB rays stimulate a chemical (or hormone?) in the reptile's skin called ergosterol, which basically triggers the production of vD3. Deprived of this light, reptiles are at risk of developing a vD3-deficiency, which can be crippling & often fatal if not remedied.

Most regular "heat bulbs" or basking bulbs sold in pet stores will advertise that they provide UVA rays, but not UVB.

Only the tube-florescent bulbs and mercury vapor bulbs provide adequate amounts of UVB in an artificial captive environment. (of course, the compact "spiral-shaped" florescent bulbs do, too...but they are generally not suggested for tortoises as they have been know to cause blindness).

Status
Not open for further replies.