Is Sheldon Healthy?

kimberleydunk1

Hello i rehomed a Horsefeild Tortoise on Friday, i gave him a bath and noticed on the top of his shell it looked damaged, the best way to describe it is chipped and bubbly?, i know that tortoises have sensitive shells and skin i would really appreciate your guys feedback maybe i am just worrying too much.
sheldon.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! Don't worry you'll hopefully get all the help you need from experienced members here, just take it easy.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
These guys normally do have rough looking shells so I would not worry too much. Other then it being a bit raised ( lack of humidity) I don't see anything....

kimberleydunk1

His previous owners kept him in sawdust, i am guessing this is why he has had lack of humidity, i am changing all of his bedding soon just wanted to let him settle first, how else can i create humidity for him??

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Change the substrate now, don't wait.

Make sure he has a shallow water dish he can drink from or soak himself in available at all times.

kimberleydunk1

He does have a shallow water dish, and i bathed him yesterday what would you suggest changing the sawdust too ?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Coconut coir. Or a mix of coir and topsoil. Make sure there's no perlite or vermiculite. The substrate needs to hold moisture & be deep enough for burrowing