Just Picked up Sheldon

kimberleydunk1

Hello, Today i picked up a 3 year old horsefeild tortoise called sheldon, he will be my first pet tortoise so just want to make sure i get everything right- he lives in a tortoise table, however the previous owner said that they did not hibernate him, i have read a mix of diffrent comments from various websites just wandered weither i should hibernate him or not? also his bedding is sawdust is that ok or would it be better to get a diffrent bedding? i dont want to change everything until he is setteled down just want to make sure he is going to be as happy as possible for a long time. Any tips on the best foods to feed him? look forward to learning how to keep my little one happy, i will of cause add pictures later today.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! i would not hibernate him this year, he has to get use to him surroundings. i wouldn't use saw dust as bedding, try cyprus mulch or shaved coconut fibers. Russian torts need large variety in there diet, some things you can feed him are nontoxic weeds, lettuces, grasses . make sure you provide a UVB light, cuttle bone, water dish and a large enclosure. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ read this entire care sheet. also if you have any questions just ask:)! can you post a pic of him and his enclosure?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Don't hibernate the first year cause the tort needs to build up its fats . And most of all there is no reason to hibernate the tort at all . But you do what you think is best . I hibernate mine every year .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

kimberleydunk1

Thankyou guys for all your comments, i will change his bedding but think i will leave him for a few days to settle in has been a busy day for him, i gave him some carrots and greens, he does have a lamp on his table however the previous owner had it on a timer to go off at 5pm should i leave it on all the time? i am based in lincolnshire and will add pictures as soon as i have taken some.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Welcome!

Thankyou guys for all your comments, i will change his bedding but think i will leave him for a few days to settle in has been a busy day for him, i gave him some carrots and greens, he does have a lamp on his table however the previous owner had it on a timer to go off at 5pm should i leave it on all the time? i am based in lincolnshire and will add pictures as soon as i have taken some.

You should have it on for 12-14 hours a day, and depending on how low temps drop at night you might need a heat emitter for night time.

kimberleydunk1

Welcome!

You should have it on for 12-14 hours a day, and depending on how low temps drop at night you might need a heat emitter for night time.
Thankyou, whats a heat emitter? he has a tortoise table with a 60watt light i believe thats what the previous owner told me, he is currently bedding in sawdust the previous owner said he preferred this i have been recommended changing it should i do it sooner rather than later or leave him to settle?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Change the bedding right away.

The light should run 14 hours a day. You're trying to replicate summer. Please tell us more about the bulb. It may need to be replaced.

kimberleydunk1

I do no know much about bulbs i was told it was right for him, but after seeing all these comments i am worried that he is living in the wrong conditions my dad has promised to look into the bulb tomorrow for me, he does not have a heat mat, he has been in sawdust for years and the bulb has been running from 7am until 5pm it switches off on a timer, i rehomed him yesterday and just want to make sure he is warm and comfy enough, he is also my first tortoise so i really want to get it right for him as soon as possible.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, Today i picked up a 3 year old horsefeild tortoise called sheldon, he will be my first pet tortoise so just want to make sure i get everything right- he lives in a tortoise table, however the previous owner said that they did not hibernate him, i have read a mix of diffrent comments from various websites just wandered weither i should hibernate him or not? also his bedding is sawdust is that ok or would it be better to get a diffrent bedding? i dont want to change everything until he is setteled down just want to make sure he is going to be as happy as possible for a long time. Any tips on the best foods to feed him? look forward to learning how to keep my little one happy, i will of cause add pictures later today.

Hello and welcome.

Your table should be fine, but I would change the substrate. Here is how I like to house them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And a few more tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/