Is she okay?

Erika tort lover

Location (City and/or State)
Novi Sad, Serbia
I just noticed that my tortoise is doing this thing with her leg she hurt a while ago, but she walked just normally before this. She would do that and then walk normally, after a while she would do that thing again with her leg. I already called the vet, they told me to wait a little if she stops doing that, and if she doesn't, to bring her tomorrow. Has anyone else had this situation, and what are some advices i could use to help her? 0-02-05-71a0049937d7639721ef6722b71acce4e69c01f67c0e8ed599cae9570a19ac5f_ba0e3d0d4dc98ccd_Adob...gif (had to convert it to gif, im so sorry guys)

Erika tort lover

Novi Sad, Serbia
I just noticed that my tortoise is doing this thing with her leg she hurt a while ago, but she walked just normally before this. She would do that and then walk normally, after a while she would do that thing again with her leg. I already called the vet, they told me to wait a little if she stops doing that, and if she doesn't, to bring her tomorrow. Has anyone else had this situation, and what are some advices i could use to help her? View attachment 347028 (had to convert it to gif, im so sorry guys)
Update: she is not doing that anymore, she now walks perfectly fine, but i still want an answer in case it happens again. Thank you very much

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What kind of substrate does it normally sit on? Does it act the same way in the enclosure & outside on a different (grassy) surface?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is why tortoises need to be kept on actual substrate, and NOT on smooth surfaces. They can't get traction and it's hard on their hip joints to keep slipping like that.

Erika tort lover

Novi Sad, Serbia
What kind of substrate does it normally sit on? Does it act the same way in the enclosure & outside on a different (grassy) surface
Oh right sorry, i forgot to update
The vet called me back and they said that it is perhaps that she wants to dig the ground. That is something female tortoises do when they get eggs, so im assuming that she sexually matured? She never mated, but like you know, just like when young girls get their first period, that means their genitals became old enough to be reproductive, so im assuming my tortoise 'got her first period' and thats the reason she is doing that. It only looks weird cuz she was doing it on the bed, if she was on a ground, she would dig the ground. Thank you anyways, means alot that you answered :)

Erika tort lover

Novi Sad, Serbia
This is why tortoises need to be kept on actual substrate, and NOT on smooth surfaces. They can't get traction and it's hard on their hip joints to keep slipping like that.
I make sure she is outside more than inside, i live in flat where i dont have much space, the tortoise was gifted to me. She has an enclousure where she only sleeps at nights and i dont like to keep her in that cuz the space is way too small, thats why i keep her on bed. The enclousure has rocks and ground, she digs in there when she gets ready to sleep. I always make sure to take my tortoise out for at least an hour. If i lived in house with a backyard, i would have kept her in that backyard, where she is on the sun, ground and has plenty of food to eat whenever she wants, but i dont live in house. I live with my mother because im still young and dont have a job, im still in school. I hope you understand now better.

Erika tort lover

Novi Sad, Serbia
I agree with Yvonne. I think it had to do with the towel more then anything.
She was just trying to dig the ground, it was her first time showing this kind of behaviour and it just hapepned to be on the bed. If she showed it outside, i would realise much faster that she tried to dig the ground. It looks really weird because it was on the bed. She is still young and is growing up, so these are kinda the signs that she is maturing as a female tortoise. The vet kindly explained to me what was going on, so now i know what is going on.

Erika tort lover

Novi Sad, Serbia
What kind of substrate does it normally sit on? Does it act the same way in the enclosure & outside on a different (grassy) surface?
Oh and she is normally outside, on the ground. I just keep her on bed cuz i live in flat and i dont like to keep in her enclosure (she also has rocks and ground there) because the enclosure is small. I do understand that slippery surfaces can be really frustrating for tortoises and their hips, so i make sure to never put her on slippery surfaces. She usually sleeps more on the bed and is very active when i take her out so thats the other reason why i was concerned.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She was just trying to dig the ground, it was her first time showing this kind of behaviour and it just hapepned to be on the bed. If she showed it outside, i would realise much faster that she tried to dig the ground. It looks really weird because it was on the bed. She is still young and is growing up, so these are kinda the signs that she is maturing as a female tortoise. The vet kindly explained to me what was going on, so now i know what is going on.
She is way to young to know if it's a female. Your vet is a bit off here. That is not a sign of him/her maturing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh and she is normally outside, on the ground. I just keep her on bed cuz i live in flat and i dont like to keep in her enclosure (she also has rocks and ground there) because the enclosure is small. I do understand that slippery surfaces can be really frustrating for tortoises and their hips, so i make sure to never put her on slippery surfaces. She usually sleeps more on the bed and is very active when i take her out so thats the other reason why i was concerned.
She/he belongs in the enclosure not your bed. A proper enclosure is what's best for him/her. Be sure to follow the caresheet for the enclosure and leave him/her in it unless outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I make sure she is outside more than inside, i live in flat where i dont have much space, the tortoise was gifted to me. She has an enclousure where she only sleeps at nights and i dont like to keep her in that cuz the space is way too small, thats why i keep her on bed. The enclousure has rocks and ground, she digs in there when she gets ready to sleep. I always make sure to take my tortoise out for at least an hour. If i lived in house with a backyard, i would have kept her in that backyard, where she is on the sun, ground and has plenty of food to eat whenever she wants, but i dont live in house. I live with my mother because im still young and dont have a job, im still in school. I hope you understand now better.
Yes, Erika, I DO understand, but what YOU don't seem to understand is that the tortoise needs what it needs irrespective of YOUR living arrangements.