is sexing possible?

captain

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi everyone, just wondering if it would be possible to find out the sex of my 4 month old red foot or is he too young? If not, what age could I be able to find out??? :p

thanks

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Hi,
He is too young. From what I have been told 6 inches in length is about the smallest for accurate sexing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They can do surgical sexing on any age tortoise. Its would cost more than your tortoise did, and they have to cut them open and stick a endoscope probe into the body cavity, but you will know the sex when its done.

Other than that, you will have to wait about three years in most cases.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I am surprised there is no DNA sexing available. Seems there are enough tort and turtle keepers to make it a profitable business pursuit.
They've been doing it with parrots for years. Of course with birds it's easy. Pluck a feather and send it.
For my horse, I just had to pluck tail hairs, and for my dogs, a mouth swab. Those weren't for sexing purposes, of course. lol

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: RE: is sexing possible?

AnnV said:
I am surprised there is no DNA sexing available. Seems there are enough tort and turtle keepers to make it a profitable business pursuit.
They've been doing it with parrots for years. Of course with birds it's easy. Pluck a feather and send it.
For my horse, I just had to pluck tail hairs, and for my dogs, a mouth swab. Those weren't for sexing purposes, of course. lol

Problem is, you can't tell a tortoises sex by its DNA. ;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ann I have been working on that …….

The MICT® technology system is a desktop based, in vitro diagnostic device. The purpose of the MICT® system, when used with its disposable Test Devices, is to provide a means to quantitatively and qualitatively detect biochemical analytes directly from body fluids or environmental samples.

http://www.magnabiosciences.com/company.html

parrotlady

5 Year Member
How close is DNA testing for tortoises? I have a friend in the Phoenix area interested also. I have heard that there is a zoo in Arizona working on it also. I have not been able to verify that yet. Only second hand information, therefore I am skeptical.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
kathyth said:
Interesting J.D.!!!

Kathy ….it’s actually my Fathers invention and patent used more so in the medical and bio-defense field.
"Paramagnetic-particle detection in lateral-flow assays"; R. T. LaBorde and B. O’Farrell, IVD Technology, 2002. It's on the Website in detail.
For myself , the last couple years trying to apply some of this technology to the topic of this thread. : sexing a tort using DNA methods and or other such body fluid analysis .
Also there are other recent technologies that CAN predict an unborn sex let alone one already born ( same concept). Using DNA…..
“In a natural process, fetal cells die and pass into the mother’s bloodstream. As these cells break down, fetal DNA is released into the mother’s own circulatory system. Pink or Blue® can detect the baby’s DNA as early as 7 weeks into a pregnancy which is approximately 9 weeks from your last menstrual period. Pink or Blue® have developed a process to determine the baby’s sex based on analysis of the fetal DNA in the mother's bloodstream”
http://www.tellmepinkorblue.com/Gender-Testing-Science.php

;)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
RE: AW: is sexing possible?

peasinapod said:
AnnV said:

Problem is, you can't tell a tortoises sex by its DNA. ;)

Well now I just learned something new. I always thought you couldn't tell a tortoises sex by its DNA because it s temperature determined. But a quick google search proved me wrong. Seems they found some sex-specific DNA in at least a few species of sea turtles. How cool!