is our sparky weird?

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
hi, just a quick question. is it normal for a tortoise to poop in its food? he has done this since the day we got him. he will eat what he wants then spreads the rest out over the slate and then poops on it. it not really a problem i just remove it and put in some fresh later on. it seems to be a part of his little routine he has.

thanks

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Maybe it's more convent for him.... I think when he has a routine, it makes it easier (then You can change your routine to fit his).... Change where the dish is at and see if there is a difference.... Don't worry! It's not like he can be potty trained, lol :) have a nice night (it's night here)!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My russian does this, I can't figure out why, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose, I can think of. I mean it won't stop another tortoise from eating the food. Is he alone or does he have a tank mate?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
My russian does this, I can't figure out why, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose, I can think of. I mean it won't stop another tortoise from eating the food. Is he alone or does he have a tank mate?
Nothing I can think of, maybe they don't want us to touch their food… there is probably a reason behind it…

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have always thought it was to discourage other tortoises from eating their food.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Mine always goes in the water. It never fails. Even right after a bath, he visits the waterbowl so he can poop in it... not sure what he finds so appealing about it :)

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
mine poops in or very near his food dish and basking rock almost daily. i just thought that eating and/or warming up triggered his urge to go so he would do just that wherever he happened to be! kind of gross when you think about it but it makes it easier to clean up! i clean his food dish daily and his rock is right under the mvb light so it dries really fast and is easier to scoop up!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I think tortoise owners even find tortoise poo interesting… lol :) at least you are not the only one ! Hope he grows strong and old

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
thanks every one, he's on his own so if its to keep others from eating it he must have an imaginary friend lol. he does it in his water too. had him bout 3 month and he's grown already a whole 4 grams lol . added a couple pics of him (if it works this time) before he goes for his bath. 100_4705.JPG 100_4706.JPG 100_4704.JPG

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
thanks every one, he's on his own so if its to keep others from eating it he must have an imaginary friend lol. he does it in his water too. had him bout 3 month and he's grown already a whole 4 grams lol . added a couple pics of him (if it works this time) before he goes for his bath. View attachment 86946 View attachment 86947 View attachment 86948
Love his shell, maybe he is just cautious (maybe you watch the ninja turtles?)… I think it's a survival instinct (just in case some ransom tortoise comes through the door)... Pooing in water is very natural (that sentence sound weird, but who cares right?) good luck :) !