Is Our Baby Sulcata Sick?

blastoise3

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello, We just got our 2 month old baby Sulcata tort Blastoise yesterday and we can't tell if it's sick (RI) or if maybe this is normal. When taking him for some sun we think we saw his nose have bubbles. It started to make a squeaking noise as well. We took it for a soak but never saw the bubbles again from the nose but did see some from the mouth but again not sure if that is normal for a soak. In it's enclosure it's about 80 on the shade side and 95 on hot spot. We are hoping everything is okay we are so attached already it's like having a newborn.

Attachments

• 20240325_185626.jpg
    20240325_185626.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bump the enclosure to 85 all over day and night and be exact with the temps, no about 80 about 85. If you don't have a digital thermometer to read accurately then get one ASAP
Get the humidity up to 80% basking is fine at 95.
Use a incandescent flood bulb for basking, ceramic heat emitter for added heat day and night and if it's not at least 80 outside then do not take such a small baby outside. Tube fluorescent for uvb. He also needs a closed chamber.
Orchid or fir bark for substrate or coconut coir. Be sure to give warm water soaks daily and keep him and water warm the whole time.

blastoise3

Texas
Bump the enclosure to 85 all over day and night and be exact with the temps, no about 80 about 85. If you don't have a digital thermometer to read accurately then get one ASAP
Get the humidity up to 80% basking is fine at 95.
Use a incandescent flood bulb for basking, ceramic heat emitter for added heat day and night and if it's not at least 80 outside then do not take such a small baby outside. Tube fluorescent for uvb. He also needs a closed chamber.
Orchid or fir bark for substrate or coconut coir. Be sure to give warm water soaks daily and keep him and water warm the whole time.
Thanks for the quick response. It's 87 based off a digital thermometer you stick in a turkey. We are getting somethingto keep in the enclosure that will go to our phone.
We have a Reptizoo Dual Dome with a Zoo Med halogen lamp 50w bulb and a Zoo Med 10.0 13w florescent bulb. I posted a YouTube short since the video did not load. I will not take Blastoise outside at all till it's a bit older or at least 95. Video of Tort please let us know if you think he has an RI or if this is normal.

Attachments

• 1000010057.jpg
    1000010057.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 2

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Thanks for the quick response. It's 87 based off a digital thermometer you stick in a turkey. We are getting somethingto keep in the enclosure that will go to our phone.
We have a Reptizoo Dual Dome with a Zoo Med halogen lamp 50w bulb and a Zoo Med 10.0 13w florescent bulb. I posted a YouTube short since the video did not load. I will not take Blastoise outside at all till it's a bit older or at least 95. Video of Tort please let us know if you think he has an RI or if this is normal.
You need a T5 style for UVB

Arcadia 584504 Pro T5 UVB Kit 24W Desert with D3+ 12% Reptile Tube, Approx. 57.5 x 6 x 4.5 cm https://a.co/d/hsSORCa

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't see any video
But for uvb the bulb mojo_1 linked
Basking a incandescent flood bulb 65 watt is usually good size.
Ceramic heat emitter for added day heat and night heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And thermostat controller to run the ceramic heat emitter.
I usually forget that because I never had to use one when my leopard was a hatchling. Adjusting the height or watt was what I did and once the sweet spot is found, no more adjusting needed. The thermostat controller is nice and convenient but not always needed.

blastoise3

Texas
I usually forget that because I never had to use one when my leopard was a hatchling. Adjusting the height or watt was what I did and once the sweet spot is found, no more adjusting needed. The thermostat controller is nice and convenient but not always needed.
Here is the video below. We are planning on taking it to the vet. Still have not seen any bubbles but still making the cherp noise. I have also attached what it's enclosure looks like today. This was taken from Golden State Tortise.

Attachments

• 20240326_201059.jpg
    20240326_201059.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240326_201116.jpg
    20240326_201116.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try using a Popsicle stick and getting his mouth open to see if you can see anything stuck in it. Also try looking up his nostrils that something isn't stuck in one
@Yvonne G

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't notice anything unusual in the video. The little jumps are ok, and the occasional mouth opening is ok too.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Or what about using one of those baby nose sucker things they use in hospitals to clear a babies nose of mucus???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't notice anything unusual in the video. The little jumps are ok, and the occasional mouth opening is ok too.
The sound it makes is okay? It's not the chirp sound most others make when someone is concern about the sound. It's also not the sound they make when pulling head it quick.

blastoise3

Texas
@welwhat would be a good soil to use? Right now we use mix of repti soil/top soil and cypress mulch.

Also we are taking Blastoise to the vet tomorrow for a check up so hope all goes well with that.