Is my tortoise small for its age

Benjtort

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a 3 year old sulcata that is around 7-8 inches and ways about 8-9 pounds. Is this normal for there age. I showed home to a reptile expert and he said he is just small and they all grow at very different rates. I’m starting to get worried that he is not eating enough and that’s why he isn’t very big. Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. I know next to nothing about sulcatas but someone who knows will shortly be along to help! Some pictures would help.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
All torts and turtles grow at their own pace. So grow faster then others, some slower. If your tort is eating good food, has the right climate, is active ect, it should be fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is on the small side for the age, but if all is good, I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you want to tell us how and where you are housing the tortoise and we can try to see what might be wrong, or what might need improvement? Or maybe we will discover that everything is great and he's just a slow grower.

Benjtort

Texas
He is currently in a 5x3 foot terrarium that’s has one UVB strip and 1 basking lamp and one heating lamp. There is always a slight moistness in the soil.