Is my tortoise roughly a good weight??

stephy

So my Sheldon is 2.5 inch and weighs 77g. I'm just wondering is this a good weight for a Russian tortoise of his size?? I've had him just over a year and he was 35g when I first got him.

zovick

10 Year Member!
That weight sounds fairly good to me for the size, but I don't breed Russian Tortoises personally. My Radiated Tortoises weigh approximately the same weight at that 2.5 inch size, though.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
I have 3 Russian babies I hatched. They are now 16 months old.
2 Hatched at 18 grams, 1 was 15 grams.
At 10 months weighed 132-188 grams.
At 1 year weighed 155-220 grams.
At 14 months weighed 180-249 grams.

(The range is from the lightest to heaviest of the 3 Russian babies)

So mine seem much larger and growing faster than yours.

I do daily soaks, and they are in a covered high humidity enclosure.
Eating primarily broad leaf weeds from outside when available, arugula, radicchio.
Also TRex tortoise dry formula pellets (soaked) 2 times per week.
Cattle bone available at all times. They ignore for weeks, then Devore it, likely at peak growth times.

Hope this helps!!

stephy

Thank you for the reply. There are a few differences from reading what you do. Ive never given sheldon any form of pellet food, do you think that would be a good idea??
Up until a month ago I wasn't soaking him that often but I upped it to 6 days a week.
He has a cattle bone in his enclosure but he never seems to pay any attention to it (only climbs over it lol) but he does have calcium powder sprinkled on his food.
We've had some nice weather here in the Uk recently so he's been able to spend a lot more time outside getting exercise and eating plenty of garden weeds.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
I think a good variety of weeds and greens is the most natural diet for them. Where I am, we only have access to outdoor yard weeds 5-6 months really, so half the year it's grocery greens. I felt like the soaked pellets a couple times a week would insure some more nutrients they may not be getting.
Turns out my guys would eat the soaked pellets as a favorite, over the greens. Since it's "processed food" I just do couple times in addition to the pile of greens. There may be more calories in the pellets, so maybe helping with added growth. (?)

So, I think either way you are fine. Can't hurt to try to see if Sheldon likes.
I do read daily soaks are very important to young ones. I believe I read up to 2-4 years old higher humidity and frequent soaking was important.
Re: the cuttle bone, my 2 adults have never ever touched it, climb over it as well. So I was surprised to see the little guys eating so much of it periodically!