Is my tortoise overweight?

IzzyWhizzy

Location (City and/or State)
Harlow
Hi all, I have a Hermanns Tortoise that I have owned for a year now. They have recently turned two on the 16th August. It is putting on quite a lot of weight each month and is 407 grams currently and it’s SCL is 12cm. Am I feeding my tortoise too much? Any feedback would be appreciated thank you

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It's not really possible to feed a tortoise too much. It is possible to feed too much of stuff he shouldn't have at all.

If he is being fed a good wide variety of foods that are healthy, and he has proper lighting, heat, and size of enclosure, he should have food available all the time. He'll eat and walk, eat and walk...they don't get fat.

He's probably just in a growth spurt now.

Also, it's August. Lots of tortoises are thinking ahead to brumation. It's soon time to start stuffing themselves.

IzzyWhizzy

Harlow
It's not really possible to feed a tortoise too much. It is possible to feed too much of stuff he shouldn't have at all.

If he is being fed a good wide variety of foods that are healthy, and he has proper lighting, heat, and size of enclosure, he should have food available all the time. He'll eat and walk, eat and walk...they don't get fat.

He's probably just in a growth spurt now.

Also, it's August. Lots of tortoises are thinking ahead to brumation. It's soon time to start stuffing themselves.
Okay thank you for your help. Any help with regards to hibernation. It would be my first time doing it and I want to make sure I get it right.