Is my tortoise dead?

SlowPoke Squad

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for your suggestion. I found my hermani tortoise looks like it’s dead all 4 limbs are out and head are out. But she eat, pooped and pee normally yesterday. She has been having trouble getting a bite but i have been helping her to eat by putting the food inside her mouth whenever she is reaching for her food. This is her photo any suggestion?813467A4-CFBC-43A2-A60A-F9DE9AC71B60.jpeg
A6DA3630-E24E-4533-978F-BBF632B5F347.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It doesn't look good but keep her warm after soaking and keep an eye on her just in case. Make sure she can't over-heat though. I don't want to give false hope but there have been cases when torts have revived so don't bury her yet.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Do you have any idea why she died?

SlowPoke Squad

Indonesia
It doesn't look good but keep her warm after soaking and keep an eye on her just in case. Make sure she can't over-heat though. I don't want to give false hope but there have been cases when torts have revived so don't bury her yet.
Thanks i have tried to wait for her but unfortunately she’s really gone as her body getting stiff overtime :’(

SlowPoke Squad

Indonesia
Do you have any idea why she died?
Not really sure. She was having trouble eating as she cannot get proper bite and have been lossing some weight but i always spend sometime fo actually help and make sure she could eat some of the pellete greens flower or grass and able to get her weight up little by little. I gave her some eye drops as well as i saw her eyes are a bit dry. She was able to poop, pee and have some food with my help and her own just one day before. When i get back from the office i found her already gone and tried to soaked her in warm water for a while and make sure she was warm overnight but i found her stiff this morning.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm very sorry about this. And I want to elaborate on something that @Lyn W mentioned for future readers...

Tortoises can and do sometimes shut down. Go limp and seem 100% dead. Even not responding to things like touching the eyeballs or pulling at the legs....dead.
Only to return from the abyss days later.
It's happened to me.
I'm still amazed.
Its like a reset going on.
Going stiff. Leaking with a foul odor. Etc. are certain signs of death.
But if you only have a limp tortoise, keep him or her warm and wait for the burial for 72 hours or until there are obvious signs of death. As you experienced. Just to be certain.